Chapter six - Gerard is mental and Frank isn't too stable either

I love you so much

— — — —

"Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead."

— — — —

Waking up in unfamiliar places seemed to be becoming a habit of mine. Thankfully, it didn't take me long to remember why I was in Gerard's bedroom.

It did, however, take me a while to work out where on earth Gerard was. The sun was high in the sky and it was busy up on deck when I wandered out there, so I assumed that he had already got up. I headed down below deck with the intention of thanking him for yesterday, but he wasn't at the table eating breakfast (stale biscuits and rum) with Patrick like I expected, nor was he loitering about James' bunk. In fact, James was nowhere to be seen either.

The two of them turned out to be down in the corner of the cargo hold behind a stack of barrels, having a quiet argument about something. Gerard looked fervent, but he was still talking in a low voice, like their dispute was a very private one.

Naturally, I listened in.

It wasn't often I heard people talking about me in secret, so I didn't quite know how to react when I heard my name. I silently took a few steps closer and pressed my back to the stack of barrels to stay out of sight.

"Gerard, you can't be serious," James said in a low voice. "He's just some kid."

"I'm telling you, I'm right this time. I'm sure of it. He's the one."

"And what exactly makes this time different from all the other times you were sure of it? All the other kids you fucked up?"

"He has the mark of the scorpion," Gerard hissed.

"So did all the others!"

"You don't understand, this time it was so clear, like- like a painting on his skin-"

"Gerard," James said firmly. "You can't. He's just a kid."

"He's barely younger than me, I'm sure he's strong enough-"

"Gerard," James warned.

This was too odd. Hearing people talk about me like this was making me feel unwell, and the smell of my own vomit from yesterday contaminating the air wasn't doing much to ease the nausea. I didn't want to hear any more. "Ahem," I coughed, and awkwardly stepping into their line of sight. "Hello."

"Oh, hello," James said, immediately brightening his tone. "You okay there?"