Chapter fourteen - I fell for you (literally)

spooky macaroni

----    ----    ----    ----

We arrived at Plemont earlier than anticipated. I was fucked.

Captain Bryar waited patiently at the top of the stairs to observe my practice with Gerard down on deck. I sat in uncomfortable silence on the bench, waiting for Gerard to peel himself out of Ryan's bunk and join us.

The captain was a very enduring, tolerant man, but it had been over an hour, and this was trying his patience. He wore a perfect mask of boredom to cover up the frustration I could tell he was attempting to conceal, from the way the he drummed his fingers incessantly on the banister, and every so often, thumbed at the pistol on his belt.

Swiftly, and with a wave of his hand, the captain ordered me to go and fetch Gerard. I obliged immediately; I was impatient to begin and that need was only reinforced by the fact that Captain Bryar could shoot me whenever he wanted if things didn't go his way. I hoped he'd be a reasonable man and not blame Gerard's lazy apathy on me.

To my surprise, Gerard was not in Ryan's bunk. I had to wander about the ship for several minutes before I found him in James and my quarters, poking around.

"What on earth are you doing in here?" I demanded. "The captain's been waiting for over an hour."

Gerard looked like a deer having been caught halfway through the chase, eyes wide and back hunched. He said something unintelligible, then shook his head. "Never mind, I was just-"

"Look, I don't care," I rushed out, "Just hurry up. Don't you want to drink again?"

Gerard nodded emphatically.

"Then get up on deck and let me tread on you."

----    ----    ----    ----

The captain was relatively impressed with my acquired skills, and murmured to me while we were taking a moment to breathe that he was giving me special consideration because of the lack of concern Gerard seemed to have been showing towards the training sessions.

Eventually we were successful in gaining Captain Bryar's approval to visit Hayley, although apparently his decision was just on a whim, because he was in a good mood today. On hearing the news that we had been granted permission to leave, Ryan shot up and climbed up on deck, grabbing a couple of coats on his way, then bustled us off the ship down to the docks.

There was little time to protest, as by the time I became aware of what on earth was happening, we were already halfway down the boardwalk and I had a coat draped over my face. I brushed off the fact that this was Gerard's coat; I could tell by the familiar rush of indescribable muskiness and the scent of alcohol that flooded over me, and the shiver that came with it (which I found that I was unnervingly accustomed to).

Ryan was chipper as ever throughout the whole trek to the prison, hysterically amused by his own antics and guffawing like a child for most of the trek. He stood on my left, forcing me and Gerard to walk beside each other and Gerard to talk across me if he wished to converse to Ryan. On top of that, Ryan kept pestering Gerard and me to interact with each other– to make friends– but we each scoffed and pulled a face at one another every time he brought it up.

Aside from Ryan essentially forcing me and Gerard upon each other, the journey went surprisingly well. We made it to the prison without being hassled, and we slipped into the tunnel unnoticed. All in all, it was a rather successful and uneventful trip- until the tunnel collapsed and we were knocked off our feet by the impact of the rubble, and walled in by a heap of debris.