Swear Up and Down?

TW: Strong language used throughout this scene/chapter

He was staring at your bruises.

You quickly covered your hand with your sleeve and backed away.

"Who the fuck did that." It wasn't much of a question, more of an accusation. The tone of his voice scared you a little bit.

"It wasn't - nobody did it to me. I was - I was going for a swim, you know, down at the river." This would have been an obvious lie to anyone who knew you well. You couldn't swim and all, and usually didn't even enjoy it that much. But Camilo had just met you recently. "I got caught in the rapids and scratched my hand up a bit. It's not a big deal," you added, quickly walking away.

Camilo is smarter than you took him for.

"You're lying. (Y/N), this is serious. Fucking tell me who did it." His usually gentle, teasing green eyes were now cold and angry.

You shook your head.

"Like I said, it was just some rocks..." you took the opportunity to run down the stairs, racing up into Antonio's giant new room. Everyone seemed uneasy, but you paid them no mind, instead running for your papa and Jude. "Hey guys, can we leave? I'm sort of tired."

Your papa, who was chatting with a villager, nods. Jude scowls at you, nodding and saying his goodbyes to the beautiful girl he was talking to - Isabela, you recall. Camilo's cousin.

The three of you walk out into the street, Jude smiling to himself as he fiddles with his thumbs.

"So, that Isabela girl?" you tease, nudging him gently. He grins bashfully, but your papa frowns.

"Absolutely not," he says forcefully. "First of all, she is a Madrigal, and second of all, she is betrothed to Mariano. You would flirt with your friend's fiancé?"

Jude snorted, turning his head away and not meeting our father's eye.

"Me and Isabela are just friends, alright? What's your problem with the Madrigals, Papa?"

Your papa clenched his jaw, shaking his head.

"You can't know. Not yet."

Jude turned to stare at him, curious.

"Why not?"

"Jude! I said not yet!"

Jude quieted immediately, and you slipped your hand into his soothingly. When you returned home for the night, you went straight for your bed and sat down, sighing and staring at your battered hand. Suddenly, terror coursed through you.

"Shi-" you stopped yourself before you could curse, remembering how it angered your papa.

Your glove was with Camilo.

You took a deep breath, trying not to panic.

Calm down, you thought. You can get it back later, with Mirabel's help.

Those gloves were beloved by your papa. They were your mother's, and although he had hurt her, he had loved her. You could tell by the way he teared up whenever he saw something that had belonged to her. When he had gifted you the gloves almost exactly 5 years ago, on your 10th birthday, he had made you swear up and down that you wouldn't lose or damage either one of them.

You had broken that promise, and he was going to be furious. 

I'll find Mirabel tomorrow and ask her to get the glove back, you told yourself. Perfect.

As you drifted off to sleep that night, the glove resting on your nightstand, you couldn't help but wonder if the rumbling in Casita that you had felt had something to do with the worried looks of people's faces at the ceremony.

A/N: sorry for how short this chapter is lmao, I'll try to get the next one out today but it might now happen since I have family coming over... to watch Encanto. How ironic.