Too Late

You threw your hands over your head and kneeled with your face pressed to the ground, silently praying that everything would be ok.

I'll be fine, I'll be fine, I'll be fine...

Finally, the crumbling halted around you. You heard shouting from outside - Camilo. A moment later, he had dug you out, his hands bleeding. You coughed, trying to free the dust clinging to your lungs as he desperately pulled you from under the rubble, grabbing your face and searching for any pain. Tears streamed down his face - you had scared him.

"I thought I killed you," he breathed, his voice shaking. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I would never hurt you, Cariño."

Your heart hardened, remembering what he had done. You wrenched your face out of his grip, standing up and trying not to wince from the pain on your knee which had been scraped badly and was bleeding freely. Camilo's eyes widened when he saw it, but you turned before he could speak.

"Well, you're a little late for that." You walked off to find where your papa was, and discovered everyone searching desperately for Mirabel. You saw Isabela speaking with your brother in hushed tones, and you raced over to him.

"Jude, you need to leave," you hissed, looking around nervously. Isabela rounded on you, her eyes widening when she realized who you were.

"I'm trying to tell him, but... he would never hurt the family! Right?" She turned back to him, and he drew closer, gently tucking a perfect strand of hair behind her ear. 

"Never, amor," he said fervently, his eyes not leaving hers. "I don't know what vision you're talking about, but it was wrong."

Your heart broke a little as you watched the exchange.

That could have been us, you thought fiercely, refusing to turn around and look for Camilo. If you hadn't ruined everything.

"Jude?! What are you doing here?" The three of you turned to see Augustine marching over, hands on his hips as he tried not to trip.

"I have to go," Jude murmured, pressing a brief kiss to Isabela's lips.

You felt hot tears build up.

Why don't you care about me, Jude? I'm your little sister. Your supposed to protect me.

"I love you," you called after him, trying to keep your voice from wobbling.

He didn't respond.

"Hey! Come back here!" Augustine cried, falling and groaning as he struggled to stand back up.

You sniffled, quickly wiping your nose and straightening up.

"I still have Mirabel," you mumbled to yourself, starting to walk off and attempt to find her, only to see her walking back. Your shoulders sagged with relief, and you raced over to hug her.

"(Y/N)!" she cried, surprised. "I heard... about your brother. I..." after a tense moment, she tentatively hugged you back. "Don't hurt my family, ok?"

You stiffened, stepping back as a lump quickly developed in your throat.

"Mirabel," you choked out, clenching your fists. "Mirabel, I wouldn't do that. It's my brother, not me! It's not me...!"

"What are you doing here?!" Abuela cried, grabbing both of your arms and holding them behind your back like you were being arrested. "You aren't leaving until everything is settled, rotten girl."

"I didn't do anything!" you shouted as she pulled you away. She had a surprisingly strong grip for an old woman, or maybe you were just giving up. You didn't even have Mirabel anymore.

You looked up, eyes searching the cluster of people for her, and spotted her hugging her mom and dad happily.

"That girl's rotten brother, Jude," you heard Pepa say to Felix in a low tone as you passed them. "He's doomed to break Casita, and Augustine said he saw him speaking with Isabela."

"No!"

"Yes."

"Stop!" you shouted, tears streaming down your face. "He wouldn't - he's not like that!" 

The couple simply watched as you were pulled away.

But when you glanced back at Mirabel, you saw something that froze your blood in your veins.

"Papa," you breathed as he approached her quietly from behind, hiding behind large pieces of rubble. And behind his back was a knife. "Abuela! Mirabel, she's... she's going to be killed!"

But by the time Abuela finally paid attention to you, it was too late. The knife was raised, and he swung it. You watched as it plunged into Jude's back.

"Wha...?" you whimpered, trying to comprehend what had just happened. In a flash, Jude had appeared behind Mirabel, wrapping his arms around her and saving her. Abuela had let go of you by now, and you lunged for your older brother, sobs racking your body. "Jude!..."

He was laying on the ground after Mirabel scrambling out from under him, the knife stuck in his back, right behind his heart. Blood pooled in the rubble around him, and you desperately placed your hands around the wound to compress the blood flow, not caring that you cut them on the edges of the knife.

"Jude!" you wailed, pressing harder. "Jude, you can't die!"

But you were too late, and you knew it.

Your papa stared at the scene, his eyes wide, true regret reflected in them. Jude still hadn't moved, but he whispered something on his dying breath. You leaned in to hear it.

"Tell Isabela..." he struggled. "I love her." And then he went completely limp, just as Isabela arrived on the scene, throwing herself at him and sobbing. You stood up, your heart going cold, and approached your papa.

"Look what you did," you growled hatefully.

"(Y/N)! Careful!" Camilo cried, racing over. "He's dangerous!" He stood on front of you to protect you, but you saw the moment your father's eyes turned hateful and he gripped the knife tighter.

He has something to live for, you thought, glancing around at his family, his cousin Mirabel, his little brother. I don't.

You jumped in front of him just in time, stopping your papa's knife with your own stomach.