Turn Around

After inspecting the picture, you slipped it into the front pocket of your nightgown. It was wrinkled and worn, with a slight rip in the top. Clearly Carlos hadn't handled it gently.

You vaguely recognized the boy in the picture - he was a friend of Carlos. That had to have hurt.

And Lucía? You weren't quite sure what to make of her anymore.

You lay awake in bed until the first rays of light hit you, finally rolling out and yawning. The shadows that seemed to haunt you the whole night disappeared when you changed into everyday clothes, emerging from the bathroom to find Mirabel rubbing her eyes. You handed her her glasses and she thanked you groggily.

"You sure wake up early."

You laughed tiredly, tucking the photo into your satchel.

"I guess I just... felt like getting a head start this morning," you said. It wasn't far from the truth. "I'm going into town. I'll be back in a bit."

Mirabel nodded, and you forced yourself to smile as you wandered through the village, peering at display cases.

"Come on," you grumbled angrily. "That candle is Encanto's miracle. Surely there's a replica of it somewhere."

Finally, you found one in a dusty old antique shop. You picked it up, blowing off the dust and heading to the front to buy it.

"Why, hello there," the woman at the front said, peering at the price tag and holding her hand out to accept your coins. "Thank you. Come back soon."

"I will," you lied as you walked out, tucking the fake candle into your bag beside the picture.

Your satchel held proof of many betrayals by now.

"Cariño?" You spun around, surprised by Camilo's voice. He stood with a few other village boys, including Carlos. Your friend's ex raised an eyebrow at you, like he knew something.

"Ooh, you calling her sweetie now?" another boy teased, nudging Camilo with his elbow.

"Sure am," Camilo said with a smirk. "Can't say the same for you."

The other boy scowled, shoving him away as the shape-shifter laughed. You were jostled by the crowd and pushed right into his arms, looking up into his eyes with a surprised expression. He smiled sweetly at you, tucking a strand of hair behind your ear.

"Hey."

"Hi," you responded, pulling away and hiding your red face.

Stop that, you scolded yourself quickly as you grabbed his hand and started pulling him back to Casita. What if he finds the candle?

Camilo jerked to a stop, almost causing you to fall over. You turned around, annoyed, but he started talking before you could.

"Look, (Y/N)... I know you're hiding something from me."

Your eyes widened and you forced a laugh, trying not to pull your bag behind you protectively.

"Says who?"

"I can just tell. You're hardly speaking to me, and you're nervous. Well, you're usually nervous around me, but not... this much," he said with a grin, placing his hand on your cheek and stroking it with his thumb. You wrinkled your nose at him. "Oh, and you're clinging onto that bag for dear life."

You pushed it behind you, shoving away from him. He simply raised an eyebrow as you backed away.

"You know I could get that easily, right? Come on, just tell me what it is."

"Stop, Camilo," you said desperately as he advanced on you, his green eyes focused on your satchel. "Trust me. I know what I'm doing, and I don't want to involve you."

He frowned, growing serious.

"Last time you hid something from me, you died."

"Correction: last time I didn't hide something from you, I died," you snapped back, glaring at him. "And this really doesn't concern you. In fact..." you grappled with blank thoughts desperately, finally grasping something.

It was horrible. But it would work - it would definitely work.

It's worth it, to keep him safe.

"I'm talking to somebody else."

He froze, unmoving, and met your eyes with his own hurt ones. The pain in them reflected in your own - you hated yourself for this. But you couldn't let him die because of you.

His shoulders slumped, and he backed away, nodding.

"Right." He turned around.

"Camilo-" you started, but he was already walking away.

Turn around, you pleaded in your head, watching his retreating form. Turn around and I'll tell you it was all a lie.

But he didn't. He disappeared around a corner on his way to Casita, never once looking back.

You closed your eyes, taking a deep breath.

"You'd better hurry," Carlos said from behind you. You turned around, suppressing the hot tears burning your eyes. "It's nearly 1:00."

You nodded, not questioning how he knew, and spun on your heel.

You were going to get that candle, kill your mother, and everything would go back to normal.

Everything.