A Rock and a Ring

Four years later

You are 21, and Camilo is 22.

"Put on another show, pretty please?" Mateo begged Camilo, tugging on his rauna and gazing up at him with puppy-dog eyes. "Just one more, we promise! Right, Alvar?" 

Alvaro nodded eagerly, and Camilo groaned, but you knew he was happy to put on another silly play for his two nephews. He stepped forward in the grass and shape-shifted into a large beast, creeping closer to them as they screamed and hid their laughs.

"Oh, (Y/N)! There you are!" Dolores cried, walking over to you. In one arm she balanced her 2-year-old daughter, Isla, and in the other she held a plate stacked high with sandwiches. "Can you give these to the boys? I'm sure they've worked up quite the appetite."

You took the plate from her, peering around her shoulder to see Mariano trailing behind her carrying Ruby, Isla's twin, on his shoulders. She shrieked with laughter, her dark brown hair falling in curly waves around her face.

"Isn't Mateo just growing up so fast?" Dolores said with a sad smile on her face, drawing your attention back to her.

"He sure is - are you nervous for his gift ceremony? That's only a year away!" you said, absentmindedly handing the plate of food to the two children.

"I'm more worried for Alvaro's. Both his parents are magic, so what if he doesn't even get a gift? Or what if he gets a more dangerous one?" Dolores sighed, rubbing her forehead. You patted her shoulder reassuringly.

"Leave the worrying to Jude and Isabela. Plus, you're pregnant! You should be resting, not running around with a baby. Here," you said, plucking Isla from her arms. Dolores smiled gratefully and walked back to Casita, pecking Mariano on the cheek along the way.

Still, her words sat heavy on your heart. If her suspicions were true, not only would little Alvar have a difficult life, but... you didn't let your mind go there. You certainly weren't having children anytime soon, so there was no need to stress over it.

"Let's watch the show," you said to Isla, and she nodded, settling on your lap as you sat down in front of Camilo. Her black ringlets were tied up in two tiny buns similar to Dolores'.

Tomorrow was your birthday, and Camilo had insisted he had a big surprise planned. You had rolled your eyes, scoffing, but he still made your heart skip every time he spoke to you.

_________________________________

The next morning

"Wake up, sleepy!" Camilo called, peeking his head into your room. "You've got a date with disaster, Cariño."

You groaned, pulling your pillow over your head.

"If by 'disaster' you mean you, I'm out."

"Yikes, harsh," Camilo said, hissing air through his teeth as he walked in. "Then I suppose this is deserved."

He yanked the blanket off of you, exposing your bare legs and arms. You yelped, shivering under your cotton nightgown.

"Some birthday present this is," you grumbled as he pulled you to your feet.

"Believe me, it only gets better. I've got something awesome planned, Amor."

You smiled reluctantly as he pulled you outside your room.

"Hey!" you protested, removing your hand from his. "You look so nice! Let me at least get out of my pajamas."

"Oh, yeah..." Camilo scowled impatiently, sitting on the floor outside your room and leaning against the wall like a child.