Crazy Lady

"In."

Your mama's smile spread across her face, and you felt a twinge of sadness. So far, you hadn't allowed yourself to mourn the woman she used to be - you had to use your brain and figure out how to protect the Madrigals at all costs.

Even with your life again.

"Very good. You may be of some use yet, girl. I need it by tomorrow evening - get the candle and walk home. I'll find you. Oh, and one more thing - don't touch the candle, no matter what you do. If anyone in our family touches it, you're as good as dead. Carry it with gloves on, or you won't make it out of the house. And I need you alive to get that candle."

With that, she easily slid back out into the rainy street, undetectable. You scowled. You had known you would just endanger the Madrigals by saying no to her, so now you just needed to thwart her plan - by yourself. You weren't bringing anyone else into this.

"(Y/N)!" Camilo shouted, sprinting through the rain to get to you. He tugged you behind him against the wall, like he could protect you from your vanished mother. When he was sure the person wasn't coming back, he spun around and gripped your face with slippery, wet hands. "What happened?! Are you ok?! Who was that?!"

"Camilo, calm down," you murmured, pressing your face into his shoulder to hide your tears. "It was just someone who thought I was her daughter - a simple mistake."

He pulled back, narrowing his eyes at you. He knew something was up, but luckily your tears were disguised by the rain, salt mixing with freshwater and streaking down your face.

"(Y/N)! Camilo!" Mirabel raced over, hugging both of you. You sighed, relaxing into the two people's touch. You loved them both, and they loved you, too. Unlike your mama. "I'm so glad you're ok! What happened?"

You spoke before Camilo could.

"Somebody thought I was her kid. It was a simple mistake, especially with this rain," you hinted. Mirabel nodded.

"Let's get you back home. I'm sure you're cold by now - I sure am. Did you lose your umbrella too?"

Camilo nodded, wrapping his arm securely around your waist.

"It must have blown away."

The three of you walked home, and as soon as you made it in the house Pepa and Julieta raced over to embrace you. You smiled, but it was a weak attempt at best - they reminded you of the cruel betrayal your mama had made.

"You scared us half to death," Julieta mumbled as Pepa stepped away to throw you an apologetic look.

"We're terribly sorry for what Abuela did - she feels terrible. She said it was like... she couldn't even control what happened. It was late, we were all tired. It was a terrible thing to do, considering how much you've done for our family, but... could you come to forgive her eventually?"

You nodded immediately. You already felt bad enough for living in their house.

"I'd like to take a quick shower," you said before Camilo could approach you, and Luisa grabbed your arm, leading you to the bathroom.

"You about gave everyone a heart attack," she said, shaking her head. "Camilo worse of all. You've gotta be careful with him, (Y/N). He worries about you something awful."

You swallowed hard, nodding and disappearing into the bathroom. You needed to think - you couldn't bother with Camilo right now.

Your mama wanted the candle - for what, you didn't know. But apparently if anyone in your family touched it it killed you... maybe all you had to do was touch your mama with the candle, and it would kill her.

Kill her.

You hated her, but you didn't have the heart to murder her. Not like she had murdered you and Jude through your papa - then you would be just as heartless as her. Plus, you needed to know where your papa was, and she wouldn't be able to tell you if she was dead.

By the time you emerged from the bath almost two hours later, it was nearly time for dinner.

"(Y/N)!" Antonio cried, scampering over to you.

"Hey, buddy," you said with a grin, ruffling his hair.

"So are you gonna do it?"

"Do what?" you asked, smiling down at him.

"Give that crazy lady the candle."