two | a heart split for two

✯

575 BC | BABYLON

IN THE DARK, CALISTA HAD FOUND something special.

While the city slept, three hearts awoke. It was rare and pure, but also their little secret. With the days that followed, the night always came, leaving the three to their hidden spot between the sand dunes. Together, they danced, sharing smiles, and laying, staring up at the stars.

Though, come to the morning, duty always called. For two, it was protecting the city against Deviants, but if the city was safe, then Calista assisted with the children's education.

During one morning, Calista had been teaching the children sign language, where they were more than eager to pick up the silent communication method. Calista had even sung them a song, signing throughout her performance to help them learn.

Yet, Calista had never planned on Ajak watching them.

"Come Calista," said Ajak once Calista had spotted her. "Let's talk."

Pressing her lips together, Calista rose from the ground with the children, believing she was in trouble. Usually, Calista was in trouble for gossiping too much or for asking too many questions. Now, she followed behind Ajak, wondering if her hidden nights had been discovered, though Calista was ready to argue that Ikaris and Sersi were not fooling anyone (of course, Calista had been the one to accidentally spread the rumours).

"Ajak, have I done something wrong?" Calista asked.

"What is on your mind today, Calista?" Ajak questioned, smiling at the brunette.

"Lots of things," Calista confessed. "Have you ever looked up at the sky and watched the clouds?"

Ajak's head tilted upwards, staring at the partially cloudy sky. Even with the clouds, the sun was beaming down on them, keeping their city warm. "I have not."

"You are now," Calista pointed out with a smile as her own eyes fell on the clouds above them, where the two stopped walking. Seeing a face in the clouds, Calista was eager to show Ajak. "See, there. That cloud looks like a face."

"So, it does," Ajak agreed before finally looking at Calista again. "Calista, I love that you assist with the children's education, but I am worried that you are interfering too much."

Calista sighed. "Teaching sign language is not interfering."

"It is, Calista," said Ajak. "The humans are not ready for that yet. Their world needs to develop, and we can't rush them too much."

"Okay," Calista agreed, not wanting to upset Ajak or their mission. "I'll keep the children's education to what the humans want."

"That's all I ask," Ajak smiled, reaching forward to place a hand on Calista's arm in a tender way. "But there is something else I want to talk to you about. I've noticed a change recently."