thirteen | death strikes again

✯

CALISTA COULD NOT CREATE A portal; if she did, then she was certain that she would either hunt Ikaris down herself or go find Tiamut to end this. So, needing some space, Calista walked around the Domo, trying to keep herself distracted.

There was a spot in the Domo that Calista had tended to go to clear her mind, where she sat on the ledge, staring out at Iraq with the world continuing, oblivious to what was about to happen.

"Nannie?" Nina had followed in concern.

"Nina, are you sure you don't want to go home?" Calista questioned her granddaughter.

"I thought about it," said Nina. "But to leave now would be wrong."

"No, it would be the right thing to do," Calista told her.

"I know I'm human and that I can't do much," Nina said. "But...after Ikaris, I have to do more to save my planet, Nannie."

"This is not your fight, Darling," Calista reminded her.

"But it is my fight," Nina reminded her. "If there's a way for me to help, then let me, even if it's guarding the ship."

"I'm sure we can have you guarding the ship," Calista suggested. "Maybe ask Thena for some training."

Nina's irises lit up at that. "Really?"

"In defending yourself," Calista said. "You are not fighting."

"I can do that," Nina decided. "But, Nannie, everything is going to be okay. I don't doubt for a second that you can't do this."

"You still believe in us after everything?" Calista questioned.

"I do," said Nina. "Because of you."

Calista smiled at that, wrapping an arm around her great-granddaughter. "I won't let you down."

"You never could," Nina replied.

Nina went to find Thena after that with Calista sitting, simply waiting for what she was supposed to do next. Calista hated not being able to help, where she felt useless; it was a waiting game with Calista not being able to emotionally control herself to watch Phastos work frantically.

"Cali?" Druig called out as Calista's head turned, seeing him enter the enclosed room. "Are you okay?"

"I will be once we save the world," Calista told him. "Are you okay, though, Druig? I'm worried about you."

"You are worried about me?" Druig questioned as if the words surprised him.

"Of course I am," said Calista as her eyes followed him, watching as he sat down with her on the ledge. "Putting a Celestial to sleep won't be easy."

"I've done harder things," Druig replied.

"I'm serious," Calista told him, resting her hand on top of his. "You don't have to act brave for me."