three | chasing dreams

✯

1521 AD | TENOCHTITLAN

CALISTA WAS HEARTBROKEN, BUT she didn't think things could get any worse. To hide her trembling hands, Calista held onto Makkari's hand tightly, almost afraid that she would leave too.

"I'll watch over Thena," Gilgamesh announced. "Let her keep her memories."

"One day, when she attacks you, you might have to kill her," Ajak told him.

Thena nodded her head, accepting that fate.

Gilgamesh almost smiled. "We'll take that chance."

The tears felt fresh on Calista's cheeks as she had a feeling that their family was about to crack apart. She had spent so long dreaming to have a family like the humans, but always took the one she had under her nose for granted.

"You may all go," Ajak ordered them. "The Deviants are gone. There is no reason for you to stay with me."

"Shouldn't you ask Arishem first?" Ikaris questioned the order. "We're a team, we should stay together."

Could they leave just like that? Druig had disappeared without even considering them or the consequences, but Calista didn't want to go against her duty no matter how she felt.

"I didn't ask for your advice, Ikaris," Ajak replied. "Do not forget your place," then her gaze landed on the rest of them. "This is where we say goodbye. You are free to go. I want you to go out there and live a life for yourselves. Not as soldiers. Not with the purpose you were given. Find your own purpose. And one day, when we see each other again, I want you to tell me what you found."

Calista felt her heart pound with the possibilities of all her dreams. In her mind, a young girl with a bright smile appeared. Druig had left to find his purpose in helping the humans and had told Calista to follow her dreams, so had he known that this was the end?

But dreams changed no matter what Calista desired. Even though her heart was broken, Calista still had her Makkari in her life, and that love was so much brighter than any of her dreams.

Makkari pulled Calista to a stop as the two had left, moving through a portal to Italy, and had been left walking the streets late at night.

"Calista, my love, we should talk?" Makkari signed.

Though, Calista was silent, not feeling like she had the talk. Makkari's fingers touched her jawline, gently lifting her head to see that Calista was crying again. The tears weren't just for their losses, but out of anger now too. Calista was furious with Druig, hating him for choosing the humans over them. If he loved them, then why wasn't that enough to stay?

Seeing Makkari upset only made it harder for Calista as the two folded into each other, clinging together tightly.

Calista could not understand why Druig would leave them like that. Maybe she understood his intentions, but he could have talked to them first or at least have said goodbye properly.