fifteen | chase the stars

✯

2023 | NEW YORK

CALISTA'S DAUGHTER HAD DIED IN HER SLEEP.

Having feared this moment from the very second Calista had held that tiny, innocent baby in her arms, Calista had still been so struck by the news to the point that she could not find the energy to shed a tear. While Calista had known, the truth had still stolen the air from her lungs, particularly upon seeing Francesca grieve for her mother.

Through the shock, Calista had spent the days numbly sitting at Thomas' grave, holding onto the belief that the two were together again. With the years having been lost between them, they would now have plenty of time to make up for it — though that time would be without Calista.

Come to the day of the funeral, Calista could not attend at the risk of exposing herself. Family and friends could potentially recognise Calista, questioning how she looked like Daisy's mother from all those years ago. So, Calista had no choice but to watch her daughter be buried from a distance.

Behind Calista, Druig and Makkari stayed with her, supporting Calista however she needed them, but they also kept an eye on Nina, who was still yet in control of her new self. That, however, was not on Calista's mind that morning.

In her hands, Calista clutched onto Daisy's stuffed duck, longing for her baby again.

"Mommy, where has daddy gone?" Daisy had asked shortly after Thomas's passing.

"He's up in the sky, watching over us."

"Just like before?"

"Just like always."

Now, Calista knew they were there; she could not see them, but she could feel them rooted deeply into her heart. Maybe she could let them go to be at peace together, but she could not let them go completely — not ever.

But while Calista tried to remain strong, the grief finally struck her as the coffin lowered beneath the ground with everything become final. There was no going back in time, no power to raise the dead or to find a way to reach them. Calista sniffled, feeling herself crumble apart as she wished she could do the impossible.

And this was not the first time she had felt so powerless.

Makkari's hand reached upwards, pressing lightly against Calista's arm with a sad smile. One hand remained holding the duck, but her free hand rose, clutching onto Makkari's hand desperately. Makkari let her hold on tightly until the service ended with the crowds starting to part, heading back to their family home for the service.

Calista watched her family: Nina and Thomas walked closely together, remaining silent with their minds likely entwined with that twin connection; Francesca's husband held onto her with a handkerchief in hand; and even Thomas' wife looked a little wide-eyed, staring after her husband sadly, hating to see him in pain. If Calista stayed, she would have to watch it happen again and again with her family, and she was not sure if she could spend an eternity doing that.