Egypt 1324 B.C.E

“Lady Ereida, how lovely to see you. The King was hoping for a meeting today,” a palace advisor greeted me. 

“It would be my honor,” I responded politely. 

He led me through the palace towards the King’s chambers. I fiddled with the hem of my linen tunic, the kohl around my eyes itching profusely. Being in Ancient Egypt was hot and sandy, and I had yet to become accustomed to it despite living here for almost a century. 

“Ah, Ereida, there you are,” King Tut said, smiling at me. 

“Your majesty,” I bowed deeply. 

“Enough with the formalities, we are friends. You may call me Tut.”

I laughed awkwardly, “as you wish. What can I help you with, your majes- Tut.”

“There have been attacks in some of the villages lately and I was hoping that you and your comrades might be of assistance.”

Deviants. “Of course.”

“There’s also a visiting diplomat from a smaller empire just up the Nile and I wanted to ask if you would provide a demonstration for him and his party at the pyramids.”

My stomach gave a nervous flip. “I would be delighted to.”

He smiled brightly, his sun kissed skin crinkling around his eyes. “Wonderful. You may go.”

I bowed again, following the guard back through the halls and outside. The blazing sun beat down against my pale skin and I thanked Arishem that Phastos had developed sunblock for Eternal use only. I walked through a market just outside the palace gates, negotiating prices of spices and silk with some of the villagers. I had acquired a habit of collecting things from each place we visited; a sort of memento to our work. 

“Has he asked you to become his queen?” a snarky voice inquired as I passed a darkened doorway. 

“And what if he had?” I shot back. 

Druig emerged from the shadows, his signature smug smirk on his handsome features. “I would have to fight for your honor.”

I rolled my eyes and kept walking, “I can protect my own honor, thanks. And he didn’t ask for my hand in marriage, he asked for me to wow his guests with my ‘magic’.” 

“So, you’re a magician then?” he teased, keeping pace with me. 

“At least he doesn’t think of me as a goddess.”

“But you are one.”

“No, mens moderatoris, I am not. You’ll do well to remember that you aren’t a god, either.”

“The women around here seem to think I am,” he boasted as we passed a group of giggling women staring at him flirtatiously. 

“Then why don’t you go find yourself one instead of bothering me?” 

“Because you’re more fun.” 

We made it back to the Domo and I immediately sought out Ajak. “We need to talk, call a meeting.”

And so she did. The eleven of us gathered around Arishem’s statue and I explained to them the situation. “His Majesty has informed me of attacks in the farming villages and since we’ve been tracking Deviant movements around Egypt for some time now, I believe that’s where they are.”

“How many attacks?” Ajak asked. 

“Three so far, all spaced out, so I think we may only be dealing with one.”