Those Who Love Me

"What happened?" Ajak's voice asked. She sounded so far away, like her voice was being carried across the wind, barely a whisper.

"She attacked me, ordered me to fight back. I had no choice," Ikaris' voice sounded just as muffled.

"So you knocked her out cold?! Her bloody nose is broken!" the roar of Druig's voice, harsh on my ears.

"She attacked me! I was defending myself."

"Then why is she the one lying on the floor, bleeding?"

I felt a phantom touch as someone moved my hair from my face, delicate hands dabbing at the blood that had pooled under my nose. They smelled of cinnamon. Makkari.

"I knew something was wrong," Sersi sniffled. Her voice sounded closer than the other's.

Phastos spoke this time. "Ajak, why won't she wake up?"

"Her mind won't let her body heal; I can't force it to."

I couldn't open my eyes. Everything was dark, and not in the comforting way it usually was. This darkness felt like it was pressing down on me, twisting my arm and holding me in a death grip. I felt heavy and hopeless and...lost.

"If anything happens to her, I'll kill you!" Druig yelled.

If he hadn't had a go at Ikaris yet, someone must be holding him back.

"Druig, you need to calm down. Fighting isn't going to help Ereida," Gilgamesh said.

Was everyone here?

"I'm sure she's fine. And anyways, she attacked Ikaris, so this is her fault," Sprite's irritating voice made my head pound.

Get up, Ereida.

I willed myself to move; twitch a fingertip, flutter an eyelid. Anything that would let them know I was okay. Nothing happened. It was like I was in a coma.

"She's Ereida. She is strong and resilient, she'll wake up," Thena said confidently.

"Thena's right, when has she ever given up?" Kingo added.

GET UP!!!

I groaned as I tried to roll over, the pounding in my head multiplying by the second. My whole body was sore; it was like lead. My eyelids felt like paper weights as I tried to open them, hissing as the bright lights of the training room flooded my vision. My jaw ached from where Ikaris had punched me, my lip swollen and cracked. I felt awful, but thankful. The physical pain was a welcomed distraction from my emotional and mental burdens.

I tried to speak, but my throat was raw. "Water," I croaked.

Someone lifted a cup to my lips. My eyes remained closed as I sipped it gratefully. I sat up, pushing past the pain, and took a cautious look around. Makkari was at my side, holding the cup of water. Sersi kneeled on the other side, a damp cloth caked with my blood in her hands. Ajak stood above me with Ikaris; Kingo behind them. Sprite leaned against the far wall, looking bored as ever. Phastos was by the door, looking as if he might cry. Druig was struggling against Gil's hold, trying to get to me.

"I...I don't...it's just...sorry," I stammered, fresh tears welling in my eyes.

Beside me, Sersi gasped. "Eri, your hair."

Makkari took the front strand of it in her hands. It was black, a shocking contrast to my natural brunette. My fingers fumbled for another piece on the opposite side of my head. This time the strands were stark white.

"What? How?" I breathed.

"It's only the front pieces," Makkari signed.

"It's a symbol of your power, dark and light," Ajak explained. "I'm not sure how it happened exactly."