Questions and Accusations

As soon as we got back to the ship, we were met by nine concerned faces. 

“Where have you two been?!” Ajak asked, hands on her hips. 

“You could’ve been mugged or assaulted or killed!” Phastos added. 

“Why are you bleeding?” Makkari signed to Druig. 

“Why is your toga ripped?” Sprite inquired. 

I gulped nervously, looking sideways at Druig. 

“Bar brawl,” he lied, shrugging casually. 

“You got into a bar brawl while you were supposed to be protecting the city from Deviants?” Ajak asked in disbelief. 

“I was trying to break it up and got punched.”

“Why didn’t you just go all ‘mens moderatoris’ on them?” Kingo scoffed. 

“I got distracted. If Ereida hadn’t jumped in, I don’t think my lip would be the only thing bleeding.”

“Well, I’m glad one of you was thinking,” Ajak frowned. 

“It’s not his fault, he was protecting me. His face just accidentally got in the way,” I defended. I mean, it wasn’t a lie, that is indeed what happened. Fibbing was not one of my strong suits, so I had to keep our cover without making something up or I would’ve exposed both of us. 

They all looked extremely skeptical and I was beginning to sweat under their suspicious gaze. I had to bite my lip to keep the truth from spilling out. 

“Alright, I believe you,” Ajak finally spoke. “Everyone get some rest, Phastos and I will take the first watch.”

Ikaris and Sersi left first, heading to her room, Sprite’s jealous stare bore into their backs as they went. Kingo dragged her down the hallway and away from the new couple. Thena and Gil went next, heading to the training room instead of their bedrooms. 

“Wait for me in my room, I’ll get the aid kit,” I whispered to Druig as he passed. 

Makkari stayed put, her arms crossed, brow raised. I discreetly signed “talk” to her, jerking my head towards the dining room (yes, we do have a full kitchen and family dining room aboard the Domo. Ajak insists on family dinners every Sunday.) She nodded, following me. 

As soon as we were alone, she ripped into me. “Where were you actually? I know you were lying out there. Are you covering for him? Did he do something? Was he being flirty with the prostitutes? Did he actually get in a brawl?” 

“Slow down, please. One question at a time.” 

She exhaled sharply, “Did he actually get in a brawl?”

“No.”

“Flirting?”

“As far as I know, no.”

“Did he do something?”

“No, it was my fault.”

“So, you’re covering for him?”

“I’m covering for me.”

“Tell me what happened. Why was he bleeding?” 

I hesitated, not knowing how to explain the situation without her freaking out, “I may have bit his lip.”

She stared at me in shock. “You did what?”

“It’s a long story.”

“I’ve got time.”