The Proposal

"You're going down, mens moderatoris," I scowled, staying focused.

"In your dreams, summoner," he shot back.

Every muscle in my face was tense in concentration. There was no way I would lose to Druig. Battles with Deviants were less stressful than this.

"What's going on with you two?" Phastos asked, biting into an apple.

"He knows what he did," I said coolly, trying not to get distracted by his chewing.

"And I already told her I didn't do anything," Druig clarified. His eye twitched.

"Ha! You blinked. I win!" I cheered, doing a very uncoordinated celebratory jig. "Now tell me where she is!"

"I already told you, I don't know."

"Fluffy went missing right after you left this morning, who else could it have been?"

"Ereida, why in the world would I steal your stuffed animal?"

"Jealousy."

He looked bemused. "Why would I be jealous of a stuffed rabbit?"

"Because I love her more than you."

He scoffed. "I'm not childish enough to steal your Fluffy."

"I'm not talking to you until I get her back," I grouched, crossing my arms and turning my back on him.

"How old are you two? Acting like a pair of five-year-olds," Phastos chuckled.

"She started it," Druig muttered.

"Did not! Thief!"

"Liar!"

"I hate to interrupt all this bickering, but could I perhaps borrow Ereida for a moment?" Sersi asked, appearing in the doorway.

"Be my guest but be warned she may accuse you of something you didn't do," Druig grumbled.

"I know you kidnapped Fluffy and until she is safely returned, no sex for you...or kisses!" I proclaimed, walking past Sersi.

"Who's Fluffy?" she asked, quickening her steps to catch up with me.

"A helpless victim."

"A stuffy?"

"Maybe."

She giggled. "You are so dramatic."

Just to prove her point, I gasped, clutching my chest. "Whatever do you mean?"

She nudged me playfully.

"So, what's up?"

"I need some man advice."

"Aw, my expertise."

"Can we talk somewhere more private? Like off the ship?"

"You mean?"

She gulped nervously, nodding. Sersi hated shadow travel.

I took her hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze, and slipped into the dark cast-off of Arishem's statue. I pictured where I wanted us to land: a well just outside the village that was never used this late in the day. I was able to better control exits after centuries of practice, so making sure everyone emerged smoothly and steadily was a breeze; the nausea had subsided greatly.

We laid in the grass side by side, the afternoon sun warming our faces, a floral perfume wafting by on the breeze.

"I think Ikaris is going to end things," she blurted, her fingertips aimlessly combing blades of grass.