Celebration of Love

The boys went ahead to the temple while we finished getting Sersi ready. The night before, we had found a local artist in a nearby village who was more than happy to decorate our hands and feet with henna, and the floral designs looked amazing on Sersi's delicate fingers as they worked to straighten out her jade headscarf. Thena gently removed her hands and adjusted the fabric herself so it became the perfect veil draped down our bride's back. Makkari was consoling a blubbering Ajak who kept tearily mentioning how her babies were all grown up; Sprite unhelpfully reminded her that we were all the same age.

"Stop being so bitter, or I swear to god I will lock you in your room," I hissed to her, making sure no one else could hear. "If you ruin today for Sersi, you deal with me."

"Down, girl," she replied.

"Sprite..."

"Fine, I'll be on my best behavior."

"You better be."

"Okay, how do I look?" Sersi asked, turning to face us.

"So beautiful," Thena said.

"Like a goddess," I added.

Ajak cried harder.

"You will be the envy of all," Makkari signed.

"You don't look hideous," Sprite offered, sounding somewhat sincere.

I shot her a warning glance. "Shall we get you hitched?" I grinned, focusing back on Sersi.

She nodded.

I looped my arm through hers and made sure the rest were all in contact before jumping into the shadows, emerging just behind a stone archway inside the wedding venue. The boys were already there with the priest, standing together in their colorful dhoti. The girls were all decked out in a rainbow array of sarees. It seemed us Eternals never strayed far from our assigned colors, even when dressed like normal citizens.

The room was small, but decorated elegantly. Flower petals and dozens of flickering candles lined the altar behind the priest, casting a romantic glow over the room. The air was perfumed with the scents of jasmine and turmeric, an odd pairing but surprisingly very soothing. The room itself was full of vibrant colors: greens, blues, oranges, and yellows.

Ikaris was waiting at the end of the aisle with the priest, looking just as nervous in his blue sherwani as Sersi did in her green and gold lehenga. His eyes grew wide as he spotted Sersi, lips flipping upward in a smile. She blushed madly at the sight of him and I had to stop myself from cooing over them.

"Even after almost a millennium together, he still makes you giddy as a schoolgirl," I giggled, escorting her to stand before him. I kissed her cheek and went to join the others, stopping briefly to talk to Ikaris. "Hurt her and I'll kill you. But I love you, so congratulations," I whispered as I passed. I took my place beside Druig, slipping my hand into his and giving it a squeeze.

The ceremony began with the priest placing necklaces of marigolds around the couples' necks, offering a prayer to Lord Kamadev, Hindu god of love, as he did so.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to unite this man and this woman in holy matrimony. By the witness of the Gods, do you promise to love and to treasure and to be loyal to one another for eternity?"

"I do," they chorused, not taking their eyes off each other.

"Do you promise to share and to give, to have and to hold, to cherish and to grow, for all eternity?"

"I do."

"Do you promise to care for each other for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, for all eternity?"