Rome 44 B.C.E

The Roman Empire was by far my favorite place we had visited throughout the centuries. The views of the vineyards, the villa's in the countryside, the day markets filled with spices and silks. But my favorite activity was the gladiator fights. I even tried to get the boys to participate.

"They would be unfairly disadvantaged," Gilgamesh had said.

"It's a waste of time," Kingo had added, "Plus, I don't want to get a scratch on this beautiful face."

"I'd rather not," was all Ikaris said.

"Darling, watching men slaughter each other for sport does not sound enjoyable at all. I'd rather you not go either," Druig had protested as I was preparing to head to another arena match.

"That's not your decision to make. I'm going. Plus, Caesar will be there and I need to speak to him about Deviant preparations."

"So you'll be alone with the most powerful man in all of Rome and you expect me to just be okay with it?"

I rolled my eyes. "Jealousy isn't a good look on you, sweetheart."

"I'm not jealous," he huffed.

"Then come with me. I never intended to go alone, so if you really don't trust me enough to be alone with him..."

"It's not you I don't trust! He's basically a King, and King's get what they want."

"Why are you assuming I'll be something he wants? I'm not an object!"

"Look at yourself, Ereida, how could he not?"

"Then come with me!"

"I can't, because then I'll want to interfere."

"Then interfere! I have."

He faltered. "You what?"

"I'm not a monster, Druig, I don't enjoy seeing people slaughtered for sport. So, when someone loses, I cloak them with darkness and let them run away. Did you really think I'd take pleasure in watching homicide? Clearly, you don't know me too well," I said harshly.

"Ereida..."

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a dictator to meet with." I stormed out of the room. You would think after centuries together we wouldn't have jealousy or arguments.

Caesar's box sat atop the arena, guarded by Roman soldiers in their red tunics, dull breast plates puffed.

"Afternoon, gentlemen. I have an audience with the Emperor if you will kindly let me through," I said sweetly, waiting to be granted entrance to the box.

"Lady Ereida, have you thought more about my proposal?" one of the guards, Anaclese smirked.

"As much as the thought of you trying to bed me is amusing, I am spoken for and would rather eat a rattlesnake whole."

"Watch your tongue, girl," he snarled, taking a menacing step towards me.

"Anaclese, are you harassing our guest?" the voice of Julius Caesar spoke, the man appearing behind his guards. A crown of laurels sat atop his graying hair, a golden sash adorning his white linen toga, sandaled feet perfectly manicured.

"Mea fidelitas (my liege)," I greeted, curtsying.

"Lady Ereida, wonderful to see you again. Please, join me."

The guards moved aside, allowing me entrance to the Emperor's box. His throne, carved of marble, sat dead center, giving him a perfect view of the arena. Servants bustled about preparing food and drink for Caesar to enjoy during the events. A red silk cushion was placed beside his throne for me to enjoy the festivities, but I preferred to stand instead of sitting at the Emperor's feet like his pet.