𖥻 ࣪8ᵎᵎ : the breakfast club

Lots of small talk here and there, Abuela then announces Mariano's plan to propose tonight

Lots of small talk here and there, Abuela then announces Mariano's plan to propose tonight. Dolores even mentioned how Mariano wanted 5 babies which caused flowers to pop out off Isabela's head.

Camilo who was beside her, then shifted to Mariano and made kissy noises. Isabela, irritated, threw flower petals at his face which caused Camilo to almost swallow one of them.

You try your best to hold in a laugh that threatened to escape your lips. Your muffled sounds caught his attention and he looked at you offended for laughing at his expense.

"You know it's strange.." Abuela stiffened as she said this, everybody's mini conversations came to a halt and went silent. You looked over to Camilo who suddenly froze, it was like you were in a table surrounded by statues.

"You see y/n, when you ran off with Camilo, several people touched the candle, in the hopes that they too would receive gifts, but they didn't."

Luisa then cuts in "Mhm, that's why we now decided to hide the candle during events where the townspeople come inside." You look at the candle that was up in the window, in its rightful place, then to Luisa who's eye was twitching uncontrollably.

"So we figured that the candle gave you powers since you're the first non Madrigal to ever touch it." Abuela trailed off.

You sat in silence. 'Could it be? That wouldn't explain why Julieta's arepas didn't work on me.'

"How have you been so far? With controlling your powers and all?" Julieta asks out of the blue with a concerned look, her voice had a sweet warm motherly tone to it.

"Well so far, my emotions don't play much of a role to it, they appear and disappear at my command." You answer back politely while taking a peep at your hands.

You focused again, you didn't want to embarrass yourself so you concentrated hard. And there it was again, fire burning and water droplets circling around your left and right hands respectively. Appearing out of thin air, and disappearing soon after.

They all gape at your hands in awe. This led to a series of questions and experimentation. Agustin even asked if you could make any water disappear out of thin air. He puts a filled glass of water in front of you.

To everybody's surprise, including you, you were able to do it, you drained and refilled the glass and even at one point, froze the water.

Oohs and ahs came out of everyone's mouths, except abuela who developed a sudden interest on her plate. You discovered more and more about your capabilities, excitement rushed through you, ironically like a fire. How you wished there was an open fireproof space for you to experiment with your powers.

Your eyes then land on Camilo, who gave you an encouraging nod and a half smile as you both notice how the family softened their gazes with you, even Pepa who you were sure would hate you forever, showed her amusement towards your abilities. You finally felt the welcoming sensation the casita gave you the last time you walked in. The atmosphere felt warm once again.