16

Pic of Shane (Matt Lanter)

Shane's POV

"There. You look great," Elaine told me, patting down the collar of my dress shirt. She tugged on the black sleeve. "Hopefully, your relationship with Jace makes you wear more white and colorful stuff and less black."

"Black was my Dad's favorite color."

"Yes, and I always told him I wouldn't judge."

I chuckled and she giggled along. "You look great, Shane. So you're taking him to the lake first?"

"Yeah."

"Are you gonna tell him?"

"About what?"

Elly shrugged. "All the special times you spent there with him."

"Him?" I repeated, confused but it came to me in a split second. "Oh, him." I grimaced.

She nodded. "Are you?"

"I dunno, Elly. But I'll have to soon. I wish it was easy."

"Shane, you of all people should know that nothing in this world is ever so easy. Things get tough, but you can still call yourself lucky. You've got the boy of your dreams. The boy that every girl in school is clawing to get their hands on. They even have eyes for you, too."

I rolled my eyes. "No they don't."

Her eyes widened. "Have you met the girls at our school? They know you're gay already, rumors have it that way. But damn, in my fourth period they won't shut up about you. 'I wish he was never gay', 'he's my kind of guy- hot and mysterious.' You have no idea."

I shook my head. "Okay, well, I've got this date to focus on. You don't know how bad I wanna impress Jace. I sighed. "I love him so much, Elly. He's so... perfect."

"Aww, come here you!" She hugged me then let go quickly, not wanting to wrinkle my clothes. "Alright, you need to get going. Your Mom's going over Ryan's place across from us."

"Yeah, she told me. They have a date. Okay, well, you don't have to stick around 'cause we'll be back late."

"Oh, we? Late? Mkay, I better leave then."

I smirked. "Thanks, El."

*-*-*

"Here we are. Pine Creek Lake," I announced to Jace as we got off of my motorcycle. The lake was surrounded by green everything, trees and grass, and some roses and other beautiful flowers. Nobody really came here anymore, but it was still being taken care of. I had so many memories here and I almost wanted to cry.

"Wow. Looks nice and calm."

"Came in time for the sunset. Here, let's choose a tree."

I looked at him then towards the glistening lake.

"My Dad was going to take me fishing here for the first time," I informed.

"Oh. Bet you were excited, huh?"

"Definitely. I was jumping outta my skin. I loved coming here with him. He never got to take me fishing though. The day we were supposed to go, he got killed."

Jace let out a sigh and hugged me. He whispered an apology, but I told him it was okay.

"You know Shane, life is difficult to understand. I feel that way all the time."

We watched the sun as it slowly set.

"You know, Elly said I should tell you about someone... He um... used to be really close to my heart."