*22*

Shane's POV

I was standing at the sink, in front of the mirror, washing my face. I had been sweating due to my nerves and I really had to calm down. I just couldn't believe my ex boyfriend was back in my life. I didn't expect this and I wish I had been prepared.

He had grown so much. He was matured and his voice was deeper, of course. He had a broader chest and his arms were muscular. He wasn't super big, just average, but still. He changed. I was sure he felt that way about me, too. I used to be smaller than him, weaker, vulnerable, and more innocent. Now, I was a tad bit taller, which gave me a sense of pride.

He wouldn't get to me.

Fuck, who was I kidding?

He was already getting to me. He didn't even have to look my way and I'd melt into nothing. Like I told Jace, he was an influence, and very intimidating.

I sighed and dried my face. A knock came at the door, and I figured it was Jace all worried about me. I opened the door and almost choked. So I did the first thing that came to mind: slam the door. But Darren intervened.

"No, no, no! Wait!" He slipped inside just as I got the door shut. We just stared at each other like fools. It seemed like forever before he spoke.

"Shane... hi."

I nodded. "I'd better head back down-"

"Wait!" He moved in front of the door, blocking me. "Please talk to me."

"I have nothing to say." I refused to make eye contact with him.

"I really didn't expect this to happen. My dad dating your mom, me seeing you again. And god, you've grown so much. I'm happy to see you again."

"No, you're not."

"Well, I'm nervous, yes, but... We have so much to catch up on."

I rolled my eyes and looked at him. "No. We don't."

"Why won't you talk to me?"

"Because you don't talk to people below your standards!" I shot.

"What?" He asked in disbelief. I don't see why he couldn't remember considering me 'below his standards'.

"Look, if you're just gonna stand there and pretend you never said those horrible things to me, then we have no business talking to each other."

"No-okay! Of course we can talk about that. We can talk about whatever you want and I'll explain myself. An apology isn't enough and I completely understand that."

"Darren, nothing will ever erase what you said and did. Nothing."

I pushed him out of my way and exited the bath room.

*_*_*_*

"Thanks for the dinner; it was amazing. And thank you for looking after Jasper for me," Ryan appreciated my mom, giving her a light peck on the cheek. That made her smile and nod.

"See you some time, Darren. Remember, you're welcome here," Mom said.

"Thanks, Ms. Cooper," he responded.

"Well, we gotta go, Darren. You have school tomorrow; you'll miss your bed time."

"Dad, I'm not even a kid. And bed time? Really?"

Ryan shrugged. "Bear with me; I'm new to this. I missed out on your childhood!"

"Bye, guys. Nice to meet you, Darren," Jace said. Everyone looked at me. I sighed and waved.