(4)

Emily Rudd as Elaine

Jace

I was hanging out with some other jocks on the football team that Wednesday morning at school when my eyes met Shane's. He had this apologetic look on his face and I sighed.

"Excuse me, guys," I excused myself and headed towards Shane. When I got to him, he looked down.

"I'm sorry."

"I'm not mad, I was just wondering what I did wrong or if something came up..?"

"No."

"Shane, if you don't wanna help me, that's fine. I really need to pass this class or I'm off the football team. If that happens, I can't play in the homecoming game or get a seat in the players' panel during the pep rally. So... my coach won't be so happy if he had to find a new quarterback before then."

"I get it, sorry."

Then I figured it out. "You didn't want me to come over did you?"

His guilty face gave it away. I knew it.

I sighed. "Fine, come to my house then. I saved your number, so I'll text you my address. Five-thirty, cool?"

Shane nodded. "Cool."

My curiosity got the best of me so I just had to ask, "why don't you want me to see your house? Is everything okay?"

"Uh, yeah. Yeah. I mean, no one really comes over anymore so..."

"So?" I urged on. He just shrugged.

"I have a couple secrets."

"Now, you're just making me curious." I smiled at him, but he just stared at me, seeming lost. Awkward. "Ok, um, I'll see you at lunch. Sit with us again, no need being alone." I didn't want to come off as controlling, so I added, "but only if you want to."

He quickly nodded and looked away, so I just smiled and left him.

Shane

I was excited to be going over Jace's house today. Maybe I could get a little piece of him out of it, by looking at a picture or admiring his line of trophies which I was sure he had. It had me wishing school would end now. I tried to hide the blush that was coming on; man I was doing a lot of that lately. I turned around to find Nolan right behind me.

"Sorry to scare you," he apologized, giving me a warm smile. How this guy truly changed was beyond me. He used to be mean and conceited, now he's different. I mean, the death of someone close to your heart can change you, obviously I've had my fair share of that experience, but Nolan used that for his own good by becoming a better person. I couldn't do that. I was spending my days cutting my wrists or locking myself in my room listening to depressing music.

"It's fine."

"Are you blushing?"

I knew he was onto me. "No," I mumbled trying to push past him but he stopped me.

"Wait, I'm not tryna make fun of you or anything."

"Well, what do you want?"

"I see how you act around Jace." He raised an eyebrow but I shook my head.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"Listen, I'm not a nosy person, but I've got a question." He leaned closer and lowered his voice. "Do you... like him?" My face grew heated. How was I to answer to that? He'd know if I was lying but if I told the truth he'd tell Jace. As if reading my mind, he said,