30

Nolan

Ms. Cooper let me in the house once I arrived there about fifteen minutes after I got Shane's text. She was so surprised and confused but I told her I'd explain later; that I needed to see Shane. I thanked her for understanding and went upstairs.

"Their school's security must really suck..." I heard her mumble to herself as she walked back to the living room.

I opened Shane's door and was appalled by the sight. He was laying on his bed, there was a bloody blade on the floor and...he cut himself.

I closed the door gently and went up to him. He was breathing steadily, so I knew he was asleep.

I examined four horrible cuts. Deep, red, and purposeful. The blood had dried up.

I intertwined his fingers with mine. I didn't understand. He thought I should be the one to give him comfort. I wasn't strong either. I felt my eyes becoming wet with tears at the heartbreaking sight of someone so lonely and empty inside. How could I fix this? How could I fix him?

"Shane," I shook him, letting his hand go. "I'm here now. Wake up." I shook him again and he stirred before opening his gray eyes.

He looked dazed for a moment before sitting up. "Nolan?"

I smiled.

"What time is it? Why are you crying?"

He checked the time and looked back at me. "Did you leave school?"

"Yeah."

"Why?" He looked concerned.

"I got your text-"

His eyes widened. "I didn't mean to bother you! I-I thought you'd come after school or..."

"Shane, you didn't bother me and that's not important right now. You cut yourself."

He looked down at his arm. "I..."

"Listen to me. I know you may think nobody cares about you, but there are people who do. Your mom, Elly...me. I care. Come here." I gently took his arm and stood him up. He followed me into the wide-opened bathroom.

I opened the cupboard to find something to treat his cuts and a small towel.

I began gently wiping against his cuts, cleaning the dried blood.

"Thank you," he appreciated. I looked up at him.

"Yeah," I quietly replied. My gaze fell to his lips, up to his eyes, then dropped back down to his cuts.

"I know what Jace did," he blurted out when I was done. "I heard-"

"The recording? I heard it today too."

Shane nodded slowly, looking as if he wanted to cry but he held it in. "Is it true, Nolan?"

"Somewhat. I mean, I wasn't there, but..." I sighed. "Here." I took him back into his room and we sat down on the bed. "Shane, Jace loves you. I feel like you need to know that first. He heard the recording during morning practice, and he got so mad at Kaleb. He shoved him into the wall. The guys were telling him it wasn't a big deal, that if he hated you he shouldn't care. He yelled that it was all bullshit. And um...he told them he loved you. Well, he told Kaleb and everyone else was listening. From what I know, he regrets breaking your trust."

He stared at me for the longest time as it hit him that Jace didn't actually hate him.

"Then why'd he say he..?"

"You have to talk to Jace about that one. I was wrong for not telling you, but I wanted to give Jace the opportunity to be honest with you. I thought he would much sooner. You ever wonder why Jace hasn't asked you for any Pre-Cal tutoring since you two have been going out?" I raised an eyebrow at him. He pondered over it and I saw it click in his head.