(7)

Song: I Hate This Part by Pussycat Dolls

*Jace*

I walked into the school with Nolan following me and Shane's jacket in my hand.

"Don't you have a Pre Cal test to take?" He asked me. I smirked.

"Yes, and I'm gonna ace it."

Nolan huffed. "I'm not dumb, Jace. After telling me that you'd spill Shane's secrets, I figured that it was all a set up. You know math very well; you just pretended not to, so that you could get close to Shane. How you knew he'd tutor you is beyond me."

I chuckled. "You catch on quick. And that reminds me..."

I walked away, leaving Nolan curious. I didn't know where to find Shane but I guess I didn't have to. He found me.

He was wearing a black sweater which, for some reason, he kept tugging down his sleeve. He walked up to me and his eyes held so many emotions I couldn't decipher them all. There was hurt, emptiness, even frustration. As if he was fed up with something, but what was he tired of?

"You forgot your jacket at my place," I said, handing it to him. He didn't look me in the eyes which shouldn't have bothered me but it did. I felt a huge pang in my chest when he reached out to grab his jacket. His sleeve shifted just enough to reveal two horrible red cuts on his wrist, and many others that had been healed. His breath halted as he grabbed his jacket in a flash, pulling his sleeve down. He made to leave but I quickly caught him by the arm.

"Shane, hold up!" I called out. He whipped around to face me and there was disdain in his eyes.

"Let go of me." He jerked his arm free.

"Why are you doing this to yourself?"

"You. My dad. Me. Life." He sighed heavily as if a weight was on his shoulders. "I don't expect you to understand."

I took a breath, unsure of how to handle the situation. "I-I..."

"Save your breath. I only came for my jacket." He stepped around me and walked away.

I was in Math class later that day, taking that stupid test. I couldn't even focus. I was just thinking about Shane, his cuts, his glistening gray eyes. And all the emotions he held within them. He looked like he wanted, or rather needed someone. And that someone must have been me.

I recalled him mentioning me as one of the reasons why he hurt himself. But...why? Because I rejected him? I get over my crushes faster than the speed of light, but Shane's feelings for me ran deeper than I thought. He had also mentioned life. I could see how anyone would be fed up with that to be honest.

I was wrong. There was more to him than just his father's death and the fact that he was gay, and I was going to find out what it was. But if I was gonna do that, I'd have to get him to trust me. Like really trust me. I needed to keep him close. Maybe if he knew he had me, he wouldn't feel the urge to cut.

*-*-*

I dropped down into the seat across Kaleb at our lunch table. He stared at me, not sure if I was still mad or not.

"So...you okay?"

"Shut the fuck up, Neisse." I sighed. "Listen, I need your help."

Kane and five other football jocks -Alan, Spencer, Jordan, Brock, and Tyler - joined us at the table.

"Looks like you two are all buddy-buddy again," Alan commented and Kaleb glared at him. "I never even believed those bullshit rumors about Jace anyway. I mean, gay guys don't punch like that. Not even guys who pretend to be straight ass tough shits but in reality are so far in the closet that they're in Narnia."