19

Shane's POV

*Saturday*

I was worried. Beyond worried. I knew I shouldn't be freaked out but... Jace wasn't the type of person to totally disregard phone calls and texts. So why hadn't he responded to me since last night? Plus, he was supposed to come over by 7:00, which was nearly half an hour ago.

"Mom, should I just go pick him up?" I asked my Mom as I walked into the living room, where she sat chatting with Ryan. We were all dressed up to go celebrate my new relationship with Jace and just have a nice dinner-which was all mom's idea. And as I recall, Jace had actually been excited to go out. He felt like this could make up for the date he 'ruined.'

I just wish he'd pick up his phone.

"I don't know, honey. Have you called him?"

I blinked at her. "Mom, I lost count."

She sighed and looked at Ryan who raised his eyebrows. "Maybe he lost his phone or something..."

I was about to get frustrated just when we heard the doorbell ring. I heaved a huge sigh, hoping to God it was him. I just wanted to hold him on my arms and whisper sweet words in his ear.

I was at the door faster than I could comprehend and revealed Jace standing there. He looked stunning... But something was odd. He smiled up at me and I grabbed him in a hug.

"I was so worried," I told him. Mom and Ryan came to greet Jace and that was when my eyes caught it. The reason why everything seemed so off, so odd.

"Jace, what happened to you?" I stared at the bruise near his temple.

His hand flew to it immediately. "It was an accident."

I took his hint: he didn't want to talk about it. Right now, at least. But he'd have to fess up later because only one thing came to my mind as Ryan and Mom expressed their concern about his bruise. Mrs. Makreno.

*-*-*

Half an hour into our celebratory dinner, things were going quite well. It was safe to say I was loosening up towards Mr. Kables over there... but only a little. Then things took a surprising turn when he decided to make a big announcement.

"My, uh... my son's coming to stay with me very soon. I'm pretty excited."

Jace and I glanced at each other.

"Son? Did you say son? As in, your offspring?" I clarified for myself. Jace laughed and Ryan nodded.

"Since when did you have a son?" I continued in total disbelief.

"Don't worry, your mother knows everything."

Mom nodded and I gaped at her. She never told me!

Ryan chuckled then proceeded to explain the situation. "Because your mom and I are dating, I had to let her know firsthand. She's okay with it, which I'm grateful for."

"Besides," mom put in, "I have you as a son as well."

Ryan nodded. "Things didn't work out with my first wife and unfortunately we divorced when our son was just two. I ended up moving because of my job and she moved too. I tried desperately to keep in touch, for the sake of my son, but she wanted for him to have nothing to do with me. Well, lately, my son's been getting into a lot of trouble. His mother is a bit negligent so I've been granted full custody. He doesn't even want to stay with his mon anymore. Apparently there are a few things she refuses to accept about him. I don't know, that's what I heard. He'll be coming here in about a week. That's why I moved to our neighborhood, to make room for him. I really wanna build a strong relationship with my son, considering he'll be 18 next year. I know all too well what it's like not to have a father around..." Ryan sighed and I understood. That last statement got to me most.