earlier on

FLASHBACK TO A FEW MONTHS PRIOR:

Damon Albarn and Chloe Erlich had become inseparable. After that one night. They'd become best friends. He'd invited her everywhere, out with his friends, to shows, sleepovers, clubs, pubs, anywhere. Even just to the grocery store. Or to even more intimate sessions of recording, just listening to him hack away at the piano.

She'd been unsure about becoming his friend at first, especially after the first night. He seemed different from her, and she didn't take change well.

But what happened a week after that first night was what sealed the deal for her and made her want to be around him.

It had been a late night, the two were in Damon's apartment. He'd been writing in his notebook, sprawled out on his bed, while she fiddled with a bracelet, not wanting to disturb the silence.

It was better that way. Because then they could operate in peace, besides anyone knew it was a terrible idea to disturb Damon while he was trying to write. He was like a ticking time bomb and nobody wanted to set him off. It took him a long time to get into the right headspace and if you interrupted it, things could get messy.

But- then all of a sudden the lights had gone out. The dimly lit room turned pitch black. Crashing his peace of creation and Chloe's regurgitated silence.

"Fuck." He muttered, barely able to stand up, digging in his pocket for a lighter, finding one with ease, and using it guide himself over to Chloe, who was curled up on the floor, not willing to disturb him unless he got up.

"Avery hoards candles. There's probably some in the living room. Come on."

He offers her a hand and helps her up, leading her in the direction of the living room, gathering up all the candles he could find.
Once they both had found around 10, they dumped them into his bedroom and began to light the candles.

"Who's lighter is that?" She asks "anyone special?"

He shrugs "Some girl from school. Think her name was Lena. It's been a few years."

He twirls the lighter in his fingers and grins in the low light, thinking of something that might make the night more interesting.

"Do you want to see my collection? You'd be the very first to see them all."

Chloe shrugs "Why not?"

He leads her into the closet, leading her to the back where there was a small wardrobe, pulling open the latches, there sat a few dozen lighters. All of them colored differently, with carvings, designs and whatever else. All with stories and former owners attached to them.

And to the right she noticed hers. Instinctively she reached out to take it.

"What do you think you're doing?" He snaps "Don't fucking touch them."

"That one is mine. You took it at Glastonbury."

"So? I know that."

"It's mine. I didn't give it to you. And I want it back."

"It's been months. You don't give a shit about it."

"How would you know? We weren't really friends up until this week? And I didn't want to bring it up. It felt wrong."

He studies her face, sensing that maybe she was serious about it. "Fine. Why is it so important? Give me one reason."