11- When Darkness Takes Over

Since I haven't updated in awhile, here is a long chapter!!!! I'm going to put what happened previous to help you remember what has been going on.

After hearing about the prophecy, Mackenzie left camp to search for the goddess of fate and destiny. Nico was determined to help her with the journey so he came along. He decided it might help to get Mackenzie drunk so she would act slower or be dizzy like. That night, Mackenzie had a dream, which was really a memory, where she recalled the death of her brother and herself.

The scream tears out of my mouth.

As if they have a mind of their own, my limps go flying, jerking in every direction on impulse. My throat burns and I can't help the cry that seems to want to purge away every last memory.

"Mackenzie! Hey, now! Hey!" Nico grips my shoulders and shakes me back and forth, trying to bring me back to reality.

My eyes snap open and my lungs gasp for air. Sweat is pouring down my forehead, though I can't tell if it's from the burning sun or the nightmare.

Nico's face is filled with concern. He is leaning in so close to me, my first reaction is to jump back, which causes my head to whack against a tree stump.

He must've realized how close he was because his face turns a soft shade of red and he quickly steps back.

"Oh gods," I say, running my fingers through wet, tangled hair. My clothes are drenched as well and stick to my body.

"Look," Nico starts. He holds out his arms, palms up. "No cuts. No bruises."

"No cuts. No bruises." I repeat, my eyes searching every last inch of him for confirmation. When I see no signs of damage, I sigh in relief and lean against the tree. "What exactly happened?"

Yet again, I have no memory of the previous night. However, I know something was different. Never in my entire life have I dreamt. But now, I can vividly recall every last detail of the memory that haunted me.

"Well, you were drunk," He lets out a short laugh, which surprises me. I haven't heard him laugh before- it was a pleasant sound. "I'm surprised you don't have a hangover."

"I-I have a little headach," I admit. "but details, details."

"We're going to have to stock up on more drinks." The bottles from last night are crushed into shards on the grass. He kicks one. "It was defiantly a lot easier. You were so wobbly you couldn't even walk! It was like you were a zombie coming after me, all slow and stuff. You could still talk a-"

"What did I say?" I demand. Hopefully nothing about what I was dreaming... That's something personal. It's something Nico doesn't ever need to know.

"I don't know." He replies a little too quickly. "You kept on slurring, it was hard to understand."

I eye him suspiciously but decide not to ask anymore questions. My gaze settles on the peeking sun above the trees. "Any idea where we are?"

"Still in New York," He confirms. I nod and stand up. My legs are a little wobbly so Nico has to help me. It's not until we start heading through the thick trees when he asks the dreadful, "What were you dreaming of?"

At first I can't help it. I give him a nasty glare. "None of your buisness."

"We're suppose to be in this together," He reminds me. "If you had a vision or anything- you need to tell me. No secrets."

I raise an eyebrow. "No secrets, huh? Alright, Nico, go on. Tell me all about your past." Nico's mouth opens then closes. He doesn't respond and shoves his hands into his pockets, lips forming a tight white line. That's what I thought.