20- Deceit

Nico waits outside the blue tent. He doesn't wear a plastic raincoat like everyone else around him even though it would keep him dry. He probably thinks it would make him look stupid and take away from his "I hate the world," look.  His arms are crossed but his feet tap impatiently. When he notices Clarisse and me, he looks away. 

"Let's do this." Clarisse says, pulling back the flap to the midnight blue tent. 

I take a sharp intake of air. 

The lighting is dim inside- which catches me off guard. Up above, stars twinkle and glow silver, something I've never seen before. My mouth is open in amazement as I admire the night sky. Of course it's not real, it has to be some sort of illusion- but it's beautiful. 

I've never seen the moon. I've never seen stars. I've never laid eyes on the hidden part of the world. 

In the center of the room is a circular table with a crystal ball glowing purple on top. There's a dark purple couch on my right with a starry night quilt swung over it. Candles are perched over silver candle holders. A heavy whiff of incense burns my nose. 

Majestic music is playing throughout the tent. The nose from outside is blocked completely somehow. A few mortals take there time looking around, staring up at the constellations or looking through the makeshift gift shop in the corner selling tarot cards and crystals. 

"Look," Clarisse whispers. "The thread of life." 

A single four-legged stools sits in the back, concealed halfway by a blue curtain. On the stool is a golden ball of thread neatly placed beside a pair of shears. Attached to the curtains are the words: 

FIND OUT HOW LONG YOU WILL LIVE. WILL YOU DIE TOMORROW? WILL YOU DIE TODAY? A YEAR FROM NOW? TWO YEARS FROM NOW? THREE YEARS FROM NOW? FOUR YEARS FROM NOW? FIVE YEARS- 

"We get the point." Nico grumbles next to me, obviously reading the same thing I was.

"Where are they?" Even though people mingle around, the Fates are nowhere in sight. A dreadful feeling washes over me. "What if they are not really here?" 

"They have to be." Nico says with determination. 

 Clarisse nudges me in the ribs. "Ow!" 

"Found one." She smirks and strides on up to an old lady, a very ugly lady if I might add, who is siting down in front of the crystal ball. 

Her old wrinkled face has been withered down by stern expressions. It looks as if she hasn't smiled in millennium. She wears purple and silver feathers tangled in her dry, gray hair. A white dress robe with purple blemishes is wrapped around her. 

Nico and I stare, not really knowing what to do as Clarisse sits in front of her. The old lady raises an eyebrow. Her mouth opens and closes as she speaks, and Nico and I lean in closer to try to hear over the music.

When she's done talking about whatever, Clarisse speaks up, and not long after she starts talking, The Fates's body goes rigid. She stands up abruptly, knocking down the stool behind her. 

"OUT!" She barks, making me jump. She throws a crocked finger towards the exit. Several people blink. "GET OUT!" 

I turn on my heel. Way to go Clarisse.

"Not you, moron." Clarisse hollers. 

People push past me to get out, and soon, it's just Nico, Clarisse, and me. Clarisse makes a quick gesture with her hands and Nico and I sit down at the circular table beside her. 

The old lady stares at me with her ice blue eyes. "CLOTHO!" She yells, her voice cracking. "LACHESIS!" 

Clotho and Lachesis.... "You're Atropos." That would explain why she is so grumpy. Atropos determines how someone will die. That kind of job is enough to make anyone miserable.