16- He Has His Demons, Too

Previously: After talking to the goddess Pat, who wants Mackenzie to come with her, Nico shadow traveled them to Oregon. There, Nico told Mackenzie something seems off about Pat, causing Mackenzie to get defensive. They are confronted by Clarisse, who has been hunting them down. She told them she wouldn't turn them in as long as they come along to find Ananke. After Mackenzie agrees, she sees her mother, Nyx, standing in the distance, waving at her.

~

"I don't understand why I can't just go with you." Nico grumbles.

 Clarisse kicks open the heavy door to the beat up truck we are in. Turns out, she has been driving this piece of junk around since the very first moment they found out we were missing. It's an old, small, red thing with paint peeling off, carrying the revolting scent of onions. 

There is only a front seat, so when Clarisse steps out, the pressure of the three of us being squished together like sardines instantly diminishes. 

 "Because you look like a freaking five year old." She snaps and begins to manually roll down the windows with a handle on the side of the door. 

 "I can pass for 21!" Nico argues. 

 "No you really can't. Even if you could, that little fake ID of yours says you're 29- really stupid by the way, who would believe that?"

 As they continue arguing, I lean by forehead against the cool window. Purple and green lights from the liquor store flash and cast a shimmer over the glass. Behind the store, the sun slowly begins to dip below the horizon.

 I feel as if I'm being watched.

 Ever since I saw my mother, my guard has been up. Every word spoken, every sound, every chirp of a bird, has me jumping and reaching towards the dagger given to me by Nyx, a burden I still haven't told my quest mates about. 

 "Quests are in groups of three, punk!" Clarisse is saying. "Three's the freaking magic number, so be thankful I'm here." With that, she slams the door, making the entire truck shake. 

 Nico and I sit in an awkward silence for many seconds. Through the store windows, I watch Clarisse make her way to the back of the store before endless bottles of beer and wine block my view.

 I take the chance of probably my last alone time with Nico to ask the question that has been bugging me the most. "So..." I start. "Why did you run so many times?" 

 In less than a second, something snaps between us, releasing a toxic sensation. It radiates off Nico like a disease, vibrating my skin.If it's even possible, all the light from outside seems to vanish and transform into shadows, as if Nico's attitude is extracting every last piece of light away, replacing it with what he feels inside. 

 There's always been apart of me that knew Nico and I shared a similar feeling of darkness inside. It was in the way he walked, the way he carried himself, the way he talked and acted, and pushed me away, in which I realized he had his demons too. 

 And maybe that's why- maybe Clarisse was right, and the only reason why Nico wanted to help me in the first place was to find someone that shared his pain. 

 He doesn't know much about my past; I know nothing of his. Maybe it's time to change that. 

 "I killed my brother." 

 He wasn't expecting it. The shadows dissolve around his pale face, exposing just a boy. His features are calm, not surprised, and defiantly not hard as they are most of the time. Then, just as quickly as the expression presented itself, it's gone, and the shadows return, concealing his emotions.

 He doesn't respond and a sickening feeling rises in the pit of my stomach. I mentally curse myself. How could I've been so stupid? Why did I share that part of myself when I promised I never would?

Just when I'm about to throw myself out the window in pure embarrassment, Nico does something that shocks me. 

 His ice cold fingers brush against my own. He's hesitant- but soon, I find his hand softly laying on top of mine. He doesn't give me a reassuring squeeze, or intertwine are fingers the slightest. He just gives me what I need. 

 A friend.

Three things I've learned about Nico, that have been basically set in stone, is that he doesn't like to be touched. He will look at you, but he will never meet your eyes. And he doesn't share.

 Tonight he broke all three of those rules. 

 "I'm scared of my feelings. I run because I'm scared of getting close to people. I feel like if I allow myself to be happy, life will take them away from me, just like they did my sister."

 My eyes widen the slightest and I open my mouth to speak, but he's not done. Words begin to pour from his mouth quickly and all at once. 

 "Sometimes I feel like I'm drowning, like my head is about to explode, and the pain is so much, I want it to. I want it all to just end, you know? But it never does. The world makes sure of that. I guess my fate is to just suffer the rest of my life."

 For once, he doesn't fidget or twist his ring. He just stares at me, almost right through me. My heart aches, but I keep my emotions intact and strong for Nico. I don't like pity and I know he wouldn't either. As much as I want to wrap my arms around him, he would never let it. The feather light touch of his hand is all I will ever get.

 "Nico... I had no idea." 

 Nico's gaze clouds over and he stares at the liquor store. His eyes are blank and empty, full of longing and past memories he will never share.I didn't expect him to open up this much, maybe a couple of words, but nothing like this. He doesn't let anyone in, but for some reason, he opened up small spaces of his past to me.

 "Looks like we're both screwed up." I say, leaning back in the seat. 

 He lets out a very sad laugh. "Yeah... Yeah, we are." 

 The door whips open and Nico snatches his hand away faster than I thought possible. The truck bounces to the left as Clarisse jumps in, a six-pack of beer in her hand, and in the other, a bottle of vodka. 

 My nose crinkles. Clarisse erupts in laughter and flings the bottles towards my face. "Drink up, Corpse."

 "Don't call her that." Nico's voice is blunt and smooth, he's not angry, but he's not telling, he's commanding

Clarisse stops midway turning the engine on. Her body goes rigid. I don't know much about Clarisse, but I know she doesn't like being told what to do. "What did you say, Emo Boy?" 

"Call me whatever you want. Just don't give Mack any of your nicknames." 

 My heart seems to beat faster. "Nico, it's alright. She's just joking." 

 "I don't care," He replies and tilts his body towards Clarisse. "Don't. Or your not coming with us at all." 

 Clarisse clenches the steering wheel. "Then I'll just take you back to camp." 

 "I'll shadow travel us out of here before you can even blink." He battles. "You'll never get a chance to talk to Ananke for whatever the hell you want."

 Her face turns red with anger but she doesn't argue. "Fine." She spits and puts the truck in reverse. "Drink up, Mack." 

 "Don't call her that either." 

 I try not to, but I blush. To distract myself, I open the bottle of vodka and bring it to my lips.  

"See you in the morning." Nico speaks, his hidden face looming next to me as I down the bottle. 

Hey guys! Make sure you comment and vote, maybe share with yo friends!xD Thanks for reading! Love ya'll!