22- Something's Wrong

Three hooded figures stared down at me.

I could feel them in my mind. They were extracting my memories, my thoughts, my actions, and my true feelings. Though, I don't think the judges paid much attention to how I felt about the situation. They seemed to ignore my thoughts altogether and only observe my actions.

The golden masks concealing their faces gleamed in the light and I felt as if I was in some sort of interrogation room. My clothes were still dripping wet and my hair soaked - which was weird since I was dead and all.

As they continued to examine my mind, I tried to speak up and try to explain what happened, but if it was as if I lost the ability to speak. My mouth felt gunky and heavy as if someone poured a bottle of glue down my throat.

"Daughter of Nyx," The one in the middle began. "Killed a total of twenty-six people in her lifespan of sixteen years."

"Eighteen which were children," The one on the right added, reading my mind as a picture of my brother bubbled in my thoughts.

I had no control! 

"May I remind you," Said the third judge. "The burden of Nyx's children?"

"I know the burden of the curse," The first one said. "It's a pity. Although, she should still be punished for ever being alive."

"She killed herself," The second judge plucked the last memory from my brain. "She was brave and prevented the deaths of many noble heroes."

The masks of the judges are forever frozen on creepy smiles. "If she was brave, she would have done this many years ago. It took her until her brother died to ever do something about it!" The first judge argued. "She's nothing but a coward."

"I am no coward!"

I found my voice. Even though it comes out strong, their was doubt ringing in my mind.

The first judge let out a sound of disgust. "You run from fear, child," He leans forward, the sleeve of his black cloak inched upward, exposing blue-gray, fleshy, skin. "You have run and hidden. Even after concealing yourself failed and you sprung on others, you still continued to breathe. You are a selfish coward and will forever live with this fate."

The first judge leaned back in his chair, his mask burning a hole through my forehead. "Eternal punishment for Mackenzie Adair."

I wasn't alive anymore.

The demon of Night was no longer inside of me and I couldn't raise one ounce of anger from within. I felt numb. The cold was already washing over me, tearing at my skin, snatching my heart from my chest.

I was dead.

And I was getting punishment for just being alive.

The second judge clears his throat. "It was not her fault for being born. Look at her, she's just a child."

"We have sent many children to punishment before," He snaps.

The third judge stirs. "She was under the influence of Night. You know how she can be."

"Of course I do," The first says in a grumble, crossing his arms.

"You're not still holding a grudge towards Nyx, are you old friend?"

"No!" He says with fury. "I was the one who broke up with her! Anyway, my relationship with Nyx has nothing to do with this matter!"

The first judge turned his mask back on me and it's then when I realize he is the one in charge. The other two judges are there for input, they may have a say in my placement, but this guy, is the head guy. He makes the decisions.