Epilogue

~One Month Later~

I love to dream. To see the colors, the vibrant fantasies that only exist in my mind, where anything and everything is possible and time is just a fable of insignificance.

Dreams can be so cold or so warm, each tell a different story of desires or nightmares. The fuzzy feeling between sleep and awake has became my favorite moment, a sensation in which I crave and cherish...

I dream of him every night.

It all seems so real but then I wake up, and he's not here, and I'm alone in this quite motel room with only the glow of the moon for company.

He hasn't came  back and I'm starting to think maybe he never will. Maybe he didn't make it back to camp after all, and his body is laying dead somewhere unknown. 

For several days I tried to find New York. I wasn't going to wait, I was going to go after the boy whom I began to care for. But I gave up. The roads became mazes and the street signs a blur. People passed by without a word and the directions went in one ear and came out the other.

A voice echoes across the walls. "Mack."

And smile curves across my face as I turn over in the bed, coming face to face with Nico. He is bent down over the bed. Our noses are touching.

I love these dreams but I loath them at the same time. I can see him and feel him, but it's not really him. He's my minds desire and it never lets me forget.

His ice cold fingers brush a strand of my hair out of my face. "You're sleeping." He states, the corner of his lips twitching up. "You beat the darkness for good."

The moon peeks through the curtains, illuminating his pale skin into crystals. Something seems different. This dream seems less hazy then the others.

I push the covers off my body and stand up. My hand comes up and touches his cheek. The warmth sends a rush of blood through my veins, sending my heart into overtime and my mind on high alert.

I'm dreaming, I try to assure myself. But now I'm not so sure. 

He brings my hand down and gives it a soft squeeze, and I have to bring my hands up to my face and count my fingers, because I heard somewhere that in dreams you have extra fingers. 

This isn't a dream. Nico is here, staring at me, alive.

My mouth slowly falls open in disbelief. I throw my arms around his neck, inhaling his scent and wrapping myself in his warmth. "You came back."

"Of course I did." He replies, his own arms slowly wrapping around my body. 

As we stood there in each others presence, we didn't worry about what would come next. I didn't let my mind wonder to the future or worry about challenges ahead. My only thought is that: he is here. He is finally here. And I won't let myself ruin this moment by thinking of what lies ahead. 

Nico breaks away from the hug but doesn't move away. He stares at me through the dark for several seconds before doing something I would have never expected. 

He laughs. Not one of his weak chuckles or humorless sounds; a real hard laugh with tears glistering in the corner of his eyes. And I can't help but let a smile split across my face, and stare at him like he's crazy, because Nico is doing the very thing everyone predicted would end the world. 

And it's such a beautiful sound...

I lean in and kiss him, and he kisses me back, and this time nothing was against us or holding us apart. It was just he and I and everything was finally okay.

I hope you all liked the epilogue. When I first started writing this story, the plan was that Mackenzie was never suppose to get rid of her curse. I planned she would have to learn to live with it, by leaving everyone behind. This story was never suppose to have  a happy ending. However, the more I wrote, the more I realized Mackenzie was stronger than the darkness inside her. Therefor, I knew it had to end on a happy note. 

 Normally, my stories end in some sort of sad way to add truth, but I really wanted Nico and Mackenzie to end up together, no matter how many times I thought about pulling them apart. 

Thank you guys again for reading. I love you all so much!!<33