18- Eliminate

When I woke, I was aware of two things:

One, my arm was bleeding again, right next to the slash from yesterday. It stings, but it's not very painful. The cut from Nyx, has been wrapped with fresh gauze. Blood soaks through the white fabric.

Two, Nico and Clarisse are standing above me, both their faces hard as stone. This catches me off guard, and in the midst of reaching my fingers out to investigate the cut, I jump.

"What?" I ask nervously. "What's wrong?"

Clarisse puts her hands on her hips, looking very intimidating. I notice her shoulder is wrapped in the same type of gauze as mine. She bends down closer to me and yanks my arm up. "We should be the one asking questions. What is this?"

My face burns hot red with nerves. "I-I guess I accidentally cut-"

"Don't lie, Mack." Nico says.

The tone of his voice is all it takes for me to feel defeated. Nico, the only real person who could ever possibly care, is being lied to by the girl who is supposedly his friend. Would he still think of me as a friend when I tell him what is really going on?

I bow my head, shielding my face with my hair. "You don't want to know the truth."

"Gods," Clarisse mutters in annoyance. "Get over yourself! Stop the pity freaking party and tell us what is going on!"

Nico meets my eyes. "I thought we didn't have to lie to each other."

His words are like a punch to the face. Yesterday in the car, my most favorite memory in existence, Nico told me the truth about his past. And now, in return, I keep things from him. "Nico," I plead. "It's bad. It's very bad."

"Look here, punk. Last night, you weren't just trying to kill Nico. You were after him like it was your life's duty to spill his blood. And guess what? You talk. Yeah, and it's not some gibberish shit. It's hard core worship of Nyx."

My eyes widen. "What? No! That's impossible!"

I've never talked before. My father only use to say I would scream and growl, but that's it. Is the reason for my sudden speech because of Nyx's proposal?

My hands clasp my knees, trying to keep them from shaking. As much as I don't want to, I know the truth has to come out. I just hope Nico will understand.

The two demigods hovering above me and wait patiently for an explanation. I let out a shaky breath and give them one. "When we shadow traveled out of New York, I was pulled into Nyx's realm. I don't know how, but it happened. I guess since darkness is her domain, she can control what leaves and what goes."

"How-"

"Questions at the end," I say quickly before continuing. "I saw Nyx. She was so dark. So beautifully dark. As soon as she approached me, I wanted her to take this curse away. But do you know what she said? She said it was a gift! A gift!"

"How demented." Clarisse grumbles.

I nod in agreement then take a big gulp of air before letting it out, trying to gain enough courage to tell them what came next. "She presented me a deal...." Here it goes. "She said If I killed Nico and spilled his blood in her name, she would lift the curse from me."

The air goes uncomfortably silent. The wind doesn't even blow, for even the soft breeze ceases in disturbance. I reach into my back pocket but quickly realize the dagger in no longer there. A rush of panic surges through me.

Nico drops the dagger at my feet.

"I don't want to do it," I say quickly, hoping he hasn't already judged me. "These cuts represent how many days have gone by. She gave me four. I only have two days left."