Chapter 32

LISA

I hate finance. Even though I'm good with numbers and math has been my top-scoring subject since I was a child yet I don't practically enjoy it. But nevertheless, I'm now the Chief Financial Officer in my dad's company. I obviously didn't get this post directly, I had to start from the bottom like everyone else. But within two years my dad and his partner realised that I'm capable enough to lead the team and so they gave me this position. My team consists of five members who are all young and full of zest. Bang Chan is my favourite amongst all, he's less of a colleague and more of a friend to me. Every Friday night, the two of us have a tradition to go out for beer and chill together. He's literally the only guy friend I hang out with after Jisoo.

There was small knock at my office door and Chan's head popped "You ready to leave?"

I shifted from my chair and looked at the clock, it was already nine o'clock. Damn. I have been working a lot lately. "Yeah I'll be out in a minute," I said.

Chan walked in my room, closed the door behind him, "I got a call from So Hee, she said you weren't picking up her calls. Everything is fine between you two right?"

"Yes it is. Don't worry. I kept my phone on silent since there was so much work to do and I didn't want any disturbance," I said to reassure him since he is like a brother to So Hee, he adores her a lot and is always concerned about her.

"Can I ask you something? I hope you don't get mad at me."

"I won't, go ahead."

"When do you guys plan to get married? You have been engaged for a year now."

"Umm.. We are not sure yet. It'll be soon though," I said to cut the conversation short. It's not the first time someone had asked me this question, every single person keeps asking me when I'll get married to So Hee but the truth is I don't know. I don't even think I'm ready for marriage yet. It's just too much pressure for me. The only reason I got engaged to her was because dad wanted me to, he needed that assurance that I'll never leave So Hee.

"I hope it's this year then," Chan said and chuckled.

"We'll see," I said and gave her a small smile.

"Okay then you pack your things, I'll meet you downstairs," he said and left my room.

I started packing up my things one by one when I saw my phone's light flash, it was a call from dad. "Yeah say?" I said nonchalantly.

"I have bad news for you."

I laughed because every time he calls me, he ends up saying something that totally ruins my mood. "I'm not surprised dad. This has become our routine now, so go ahead and tell me your bad news," I said confidently because he has already destroyed my life pretty much, I don't think there's anything left now which can make things worse.

"Jennie is coming back to town. Your mum spoke to Krystal today and she gave her this news."

My heart started beating real fast when I heard those words. Jennie is coming back to town. I didn't know what to feel at that moment. A part of me was extremely happy because I finally get to see her beautiful face but another part was equally scared because I didn't have the guts to face her again. I was the one who broke her heart and made her run away from this town. No matter what I do, I'll never be able to forgive myself for breaking her heart. She was the most precious thing I ever had but I completely destroyed us.

"Lisa you still there?"dad spoke.

"Yeah I'm listening."

"You can't fuck things up Lisa."

"What do you mean?"

"I know you still have a soft spot for her but I don't want you to ruin anything because of her."

"Dad you know that you're an asshole right?" I said angrily. How can a father be so cold hearted towards her own daughter. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't ruined my relationship with Jennie and just decided to follow my heart.

"I want you to promise me that you won't fuck things up because of Jennie. I know she's your biggest weakness."

Of course Jennie is my biggest weakness. I have been in love with her ever since I was a kid. How can I not be affected by her? She was and still means the world to me.

But no matter what the truth is, I can't afford to change my reality. "I won't disappoint you dad. I pretty much broke her heart the last time we met, so I'm sure she wouldn't want to be anywhere near me," I said to reassure him

"Great! I'll see you later then," he said and hung up the call.

I still couldn't digest the fact that Jennie will be coming back to town. She had been avoiding this since past three years and I was kinda happy about it since I am scared to see her again too.

From being best friends for life to becoming strangers again, we had come a long way. After our break up, I never tried to contact Jennie and neither did she. Everyone in town sympathised with me because they thought I'm the girl she left behind, but the truth is that I'm the asshole who broke her heart.

I directly never tried to contact her but I still stalk her on social media platforms and keep a tab on everything that's happening in her life. Unlike me, she is following her heart and making her career in music. Her albums are so cool that I always keep listening to her songs on repeat, it somehow makes me feel closer to her. She hangs out with a lot of guys and keeps updating photos with them on her Instagram which bothers me a bit but there's nothing I can do about it. It's not like she's mine anymore. I lost that chance long back. I lost that chance the day I was snapped out of my fantasy world and was made to face the reality of life.

☆☆☆