Chapter 45

JENNIE

When I sang in front of the entire crowd, the only person I maintained eye contact with was Lisa. No matter how much I tried my gaze didn't shift. She was looking right back at me and suddenly it felt like it was just the two of us there, rest everybody seemed to disappear. The song perfectly described my sentiments and maybe that's why a tear trickled down my cheeks while singing it.

The crowd started cheering for me when the song ended and begged for one more performance but I politely refused and got down from the stage because Lisa had left by then. I scurried towards her and spotted her exiting from the mall. "You are running away Lisa," I said. She abruptly halted after hearing my words. I took a step towards her "What are you hiding from me, Lisa?" She didn't utter a word. I took a few more steps closer to her, cupping her cheeks with my hand, I forced her to look me in the eye.

Neither of us exchanged any words since our eyes were enough to communicate what our mouth couldn't. She looked at me like I was the most precious thing she ever possessed. Her soft eyes made my stomach flutter. We stared at each other for a few more seconds and then I did something I yearned to do since a long time. I pulled her face closer to mine and kissed her. It wasn't a soft kiss, rather, it was a rough one. I wanted to show her how much I missed her and how badly I wanted her back.

But what I didn't expect was Lisa pushing me back. She looked franticly at me and yelled, "What the hell Nini! Why would you do that? We made this mistake once, we can't do it twice."

I was at a loss of words after seeing her reaction. It took me a few seconds to muster up some courage and speak. "I thought you wanted this too... You can't look at me like that and not expect me to feel anything for you," I cried out.

She sighed with annoyance. "I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong signals. I should leave. This shouldn't have happened." She paused for a second before speaking up again. "I think it's better for us to not see each other ever again."

Her words felt like a dagger being put inside my heart. "I don't want you to leave," I muttered. She shook her head in disapproval.

"You don't always get what you want Nini. We were done three years ago and you need to accept that."

"You are lying. There's definitely something you are keeping from me," I replied while tears kept falling down my cheeks. I was done acting tough in front of her. I wanted Lisa to know that she always was and still is the person I deeply love.

She looked at me with an expression I couldn't truly comprehend. "Thank you for everything but I should return to my family now," she said and walked away from me. She didn't turn to look back at me even once and that's what hurt the most. I wanted to stop her from leaving but I knew I had crossed my line long back when I tried to kiss her forcefully. No matter what I did, the tears didn't stop. I walked towards my car, afraid that people would see me in such a vulnerable state.

The moment I got inside my car, I dialled the first person who I knew would help me get out of this mess. After two rings, the call was picked up.

"Jennie? Are you okay? Why are you crying?" I heard Chahee's concerned voice on the other end.

"Cha? I'm so sorry. I thought I called Kai. It's nothing. I'm fine. You don't have to worry," I lied.

"You called the right number Jennie. Kai and I are together. Where the hell are you guys? Why aren't you at the party?"

I took a few short breaths to calm myself down, but nothing I did seemed to work and that's when I completely broke down. "Cha.. I... I messed up. I don't know what to do."