. . . . chapter thirty-one.

( ❑❑❑ )

✧ ೃ༄*ੈ✩

SONG     OF     THE     DAY    :
last train home - john mayer

. . . . . .

"you can pair it with bu—"

"bestie, this is too extra, don't you think? it looks like a mini wedding dress."

chia's reaction to her best friend's emphasized dress choice exasperated him. yes, it looked good, but she was unsure whether it was appropriate for the given occasion.

jace made her strut around the shop in a white lacy (and extra itchy) dress with a dobby mesh sleeves and a gathered skirt. what finished the design were countable scattered butterflies from front to back, them colored with simple pastel pigments.

and if she did french braids on her pink-black hair? with matching butterfly ties? perfection.

it was dazzling. especially on her. if only any of the sizes fit him. he'd definitely buy one for himself then they'd be matching.

"i show you anything and you say it looks extra. what do you want to wear to the date that wouldn't be too extra for you? boxer shorts?"

the best friend noticed how she was horror-struck staring out the window instead of slapping his shoulder over the response. particularly at a man in a suit with sunglasses.

assassin? mafia boss? am i gonna witness my bestie's murder? oh no, this is bad. bad, bad.

"chiasa?" the criminal-looking man walked into the store, smile accompanied by cheekbone dimples making him less criminal-looking.

"haha, hi. you're still alive."

what the fuck.

"you're still gorgeous."

he realized who the dashing guy in his suit was there and then. at the same time, now-not-so-criminal-looking man looked back, curious.

"oh i'm not her boyfriend or anything. definitely not, oh god. i'm uh, bestie. her bestie, and i uh . . . ." he flicked his wrist downwards. "that's that."

youngho smiled. "i get it."

"by the way, a close friend owns this place by the way, so if you want discounts, you can tell me now. i always asked him for some for my friends back in the day."

she caught the way jace opened his mouth to speak perked up by the corners of her eyes. without hesitating, she stepped on his newly white sneakers for him to shut up, her retaining a forced toothy smile.

"no need."

for seconds that lasted like minutes, both just stood there, tension seeping. jace wanted to capture the moment to clown her for it everyday, but his phone was too deep in his pocket.

"bye then, chia . . . and bestie." youngho broke the silence.

usually, the younger'd be taken aback to be called bestie by someone who was not his actual bestie, but it seemed as if he didn't anymore notice. he just had a grin reeking of mischief after.

he pulled chia close when the tall man disappeared from their sights, whisper yelling. "that's youngho? bestie, he's so fucking hot!"

"we're in public. stay quiet."

he was being embarrassing with his volume again. disappointing, but definitely not a surprise. she was starting to pull him outside.

"okay, but the way he dresses? the ironed suit? looks like someone that movie you always quote! manners make—"

as they passed the exit sensors, the store alarm went off. it was so loud, even people outside had to stop and stare. store security came rushing to them.

jace tugged the sleeve of the dress she wore to alert her of being the sole reason, it still coming with the tag and all.

put on the spot, she explained to all the glaring cashiers and salespeople that glared at them. "i'm so, so, so, so sorry. i wasn't— i wasn't trying to shoplift i swear. i even left my actual clothes inside the fitting room! i'll— i— go change real quick."

chia eventually bought the butterfly dress. she felt obligated to after causing such a scene.

✧ ೃ༄*ੈ✩

( ❑❑❑ )