What Is And What Was - Part 1

A.N: Sorry for the cliffie... Not.

1 year ago...

"TYSON, WAKE UP!" Three voices shouted simultaneously. But the person sprawled on the bed continued snoring as if nothing had happened.

The trio sighed and looked at each other, and nodded. This wasn't working - It was time to bring in the big guns. They both hurried downstairs, to the garden, where a figure was crouched beside training equipment, checking everything meticulously.

"Kaaaiiiii!" Max whined.

"What?" Kai snapped, after taking a moment to pinch the bridge of his nose in annoyance.

"Tyson's not waking up," Kenny supplied.

"Did you try the cold water?"

"We tried everything," Ray said, his face rueful.

Kai sighed and looked at his watch. 8:00 AM. They were supposed to start training by 7:30. Without a word, he got up, dusted his hands and pants, and made his way to Tyson's room.

The other three followed him eagerly, but, of course, Kai didn't pay them any heed. Once he was inside the mess called Tyson's room, his eyes flashed with annoyance, but he kept silent.

He went near Tyson, bent over, and said, "If I don't find you downstairs in 5 minutes, you won't be getting any food today", in a low and dangerous voice.

Tyson mumbled something that sounded like, "Ray loves me too much for that."

"Ray loves competing in tournaments more than that. 5 minutes, Kinomiya. Tick Tock."

With that, Kai started walking out of the room while Tyson was up and rushing for the bathroom. "Your bed!" Kai called over his shoulder, and Tyson cursed him in his head while he quickly turned on his heels with a groan and came to arrange his bed.

The whole time, Kenny and Max were watching Kai with their mouths open, while Ray was torn between sighing and

laughing.

In five minutes, the Blade Breakers were in the dojo, waiting for Kai to tell their training regimen for the day.

"We will be practising the basics today," Kai started.

"Again?!" Tyson shouted in agony. "Come on, Kai! We did the basics yesterday, the day before that, and the day before that!"

"And yet, you still manage to make some sort of rookie mistake every time. Do you want to repeat what you did yesterday, in the stadium, before millions of people, and your opponent?" Kai asked coolly. Tyson grumbled, but shut up.

"That's what I thought. So, we will be doing the basics today, starting with 50 laps, and an one - hour run around the city. Clear?"

"Aye aye Captain Kai!" Four voices shouted, and Kai stared at them for a moment before nodding curtly.

It has been a year since the BEGA tournament has ended, and all the Blade Breakers got together to train for the upcoming tournament which would require all of them to be a team. Gramps, along with Hilary and Daichi, was on a short vacation to visit some old shrines.

Actually, Gramps was supposed to go alone, but apparently the other two showed exceptional interest in ancient and traditional things, and so, Gramps had taken them with him, after asking for permission from Hilary's parents. That wasn't necessary for Daichi, since he was practically a member of the Kinomiya Dojo after BEGA.

A lot of things have changed since BEGA. Max and Ray went to their respective hometowns after the tournament, and Hilary and Kenny wanted to take a temporary break and concentrate on their studies.

Kai? Kai didn't have anywhere else to go. After Wyatt's death, he came out of Whitney, and was living on the streets for a while, until the BEGA tournament came up. After it ended, he planned on going back to the streets, but his teammates refused to let him.

Gramps offered him a place in the dojo, and so, he stayed there, being Tyson's "Healing Buddy", until both his and Tyson's injuries healed up. He wanted to leave after that, not wanting to overstay his welcome.

But, Tyson, Gramps, and Daichi, who had grown quite fond of him, didn't let him leave, and asked him - clung to him and begged, in Tyson and Daichi's case - to stay there, at least until he turned 18, when he would inherit all of his Grandpa's wealth, along with the family mansions and the world famous Hiwatari Company.

Meaning that they wanted him to stay there for 2 years - Two! Which shocked him, because even after he had run away from them so many times, they still wanted him to stay. And Kai... Kai couldn't find it in himself to say no.

So, there he was, after a whole year of putting up with two monkeys called Tyson and Daichi. He was quite used to their antics by now. So used, that he could even stay in the same room as them for hours at end, completely sane.

A lot of things have changed between Tyson and Kai too. They were... closer. Ever since going to that place, they could sense each other. It was like they were in perfect sync almost all the time, even though they were polar opposites.

At first, Kai was unnerved at how easily Tyson could read him because he had a reputation to maintain, dammit!, but he got used to it. It was something that only he and Tyson had, and he found that he was fine with it.

Oh, and also, Kai can wield Dragoon while Tyson can wield Dranzer.

A.N: Let me know what you guys think.