Chapter 3: What Is And What Was - Part 2

A.N: What's up people?!

Kaiiiiiiiii!" Tyson whined. "I am tired! All of us are! Can we take a break?"

"No."

"Pleeease?"

"No."

"Pweety Please?" Along with huge brown eyes.

Kai caved.

"Ten minutes," he snapped and walked away to the small pond that was close by.

The others snickered. After a year of living together, Tyson knew almost all of Kai's weaknesses. Puppy dog eyes were, surprisingly, one of them. Both Tyson and Max can pull off them perfectly, meaning that they had at least one thing to escape the wrath of Captain Kai when he goes into training mode.

The moment Kai left, all four of them fell on the soft grass, groaning and stretching their tired legs. Suddenly, Max got a doubt -

"Hey Ty?"

"Hmm?"

"How did you get Kai, of all people, to soften up? Because, let's face it - A year ago, he wouldn't have been this lenient with us. Sure, he is still the sourpuss, but... he isn't as rough, gruff and detached as he used to be."

"Oh that guy is a real softie, Maxie."

"Really?!" The others exclaimed.

Suddenly, Tyson got a very evil smirk on his face and he looked around to see if Kai was nearby. When he found that he was still crouched beside the small pond, he beckoned the others to lean closer towards him.

"One time," Tyson started in a whisper. "When I had finally convinced Kai to come with me to check out that new place down the street, we saw a - Ow!"

Tyson was cut off by a stone hitting him sharply on his forehead. Enraged, Tyson got to his feet to see who had thrown it at him.

Kai had.

"Hey! What was that for?!" Tyson yelled at him.

"I just felt like it," Kai said with a nonchalant shrug.

But Tyson knew him better than that.

"You did it again, didn't you?" He said, eyeing Kai incredulously.

"Did what?" The others asked.

"You... Kai! You promised me that you wouldn't do it!"

"You broke your promise, so I broke mine," Kai said calmly and started walking away from the group.

But Tyson didn't let it go. He immediately ran to catch up with him, the rest of the guys on his heels.

"Kai, that's not fair!"

"Isn't it?"

"No! You can't just... You can't just do that, okay?! If you wanna get back at me, find some other way!"

"No."

"Aargh! You are reverting, Kai!"

Kai stopped and turned around.

"You broke the promise first, Tyson."

"But-"

"Stop being a hypocrite. If you want me to keep up my end, then you have to keep up yours."

"Yo- You don't even know what I was gonna say to them!"

"Don't I?" Kai asked with a raised eyebrow. "Do you really want me to believe that you weren't going to say that to them?"

Tyson fell silent. He stared at Kai for a long time, Kai staring right back.

By now, the others were thoroughly confused because they had no idea what was going on. But they knew one thing for sure: Something had changed drastically between the two in one year.

They were more than rivals, and more than friends. There was something indescribable between those two. Something that only they had.

Suddenly, Tyson broke out of his trance-like state and moved forward, and wrapped his arms around Kai's waist.

The others were alarmed. They knew that Kai hated physical contact. They thought that Kai was going to throw off Tyson but something totally unexpected happened: Kai sighed and all the tension left his body. He then wrapped his own arms around Tyson, completing the hug.

"'M sorry," Tyson muttered into Kai's chest.

"It's okay. I am, too."

"Should we explain it to the others?"

"Yes! What is going on here?!" The others exclaimed, cutting in before Kai could respond.

Tyson pulled back a bit, still staying in Kai's arms, and looked up at his eyes again. Again, both of them went silent for a while, and the others let out a frustrated groan.

Then Kai turned his gaze to them and said, "Prepare yourselves."