Chapter 12 - The Past And The Present

A.N: Thank you for your lovely comments! Woohoo another chappie! Can you feel the end nearing, Darlings? 

2 years ago...

Kai blinked at Tyson, trying to make sense of what he had said.

"How?" He asked.

"How do I know or how to get her back?"

"Both."

"Dragoon told me."

"Don't kid around, Tyson."

"I am not!" Tyson yelled, seeming much more like himself than he had all night. "I swear, I am not! He has been talking to me for the past few days and it's because of that damned dragon and what he told me that I haven't been able to sleep!"

"Oh yeah? So what did he tell you to make you lose your sleep?"

"Look, Kai, for once in your life, stop doing that 'I am Kai Hiwatari and I know everything' BS and just... listen to me! Come on, man, you've gotta trust me here for me to help you! Dragoon talked to me and-" Tyson stopped abruptly.

"And what, Tyson?" Kai asked, frustrated. God, he wasn't awake enough for this.

Suddenly Tyson's eyes rolled up and he fell forward onto Kai, who caught him awkwardly, shocked and (just a tad) concerned.

"Tyson, wake up! Hey, Tyson!" He called over and over again, shaking the unconscious teen in his arms.

"Don't move him," A familiar voice said from behind him and Kai turned to see Gramps standing there, eyes looking way older than Kai had ever seen before.

"Get comfy, Homey," Gramps sighed, coming over to take the two tea cups from the table to refill them. "It's going to take a helluva time for T-Man to wake up. For better or worse, I don't know, but our ancient guardian seems to have taken a liking for him."

With that, Gramps went to the kitchen to make more tea, leaving a wide-eyed Kai with Tyson. Tyson hadn't been lying then. Because Kai knew that their guardian meant...

Dragoon.

"Dragoon, for gods' sake, I am getting frequent headaches and losing sleep, thanks to you!" Tyson groaned, as he found himself back in the bitbeast dimension he had recently been made acquainted to, months after the match with Kai.

"Looks like the young bird is refusing to believe you, hmm?" Dragoon chuckled, swishing his long tail in amusement.

"Yeah! It's so frustrating! Why can't he just believe me! And why the hell would I make stuff up about where Dranzer's whereabouts? I mean, he knows that the bond that I have with you is special so is it so hard to believe me?! Why-"

"Hatchling, it's not about you. It's not about him believing you either. It's about him believing himself, and believing in Dranzer," Dragoon cut in gently.

Hearing him, Tyson deflated. "Yeah, I get it. It's just..."

"Frustrating?"

"Stop sounding so amused, Dragoon," Tyson grouched, and the ancient dragon chuckled deeply once again.

"Can I ask you something?" Tyson asked.

"Yes?"

"Why me?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why... did you choose to make 'first contact' with me, instead of all my other ancestors, including my Gramps?"