Chapter 13: This Is The End (Hold Your Breath And Count To Ten)

Around Now:

It happened when they expected it the least - But again, aren't all bad things? One second they were coming back from school, and the next, all three of them were yanked into an alleyway they didn't even know existed, and with three swift blows, they were knocked out. When they woke up, only two of them were there.

Thankfully, neither of them lost themselves under the shock, and immediately called Judy. Judy asked them to stay where they were, saying that she was on her way, and that they would find him, one way or the other.

That's what she kept saying. Hours became days, and days became weeks and before they knew it, 8 months had passed. But now...

'Please let him be alive.'

That was the only thought racing in his mind as he took down guard after guard.

'Please let him be alive.'

He searched room after room for him.

'Please let him be alive.'

It's been 8 months.

'Please let him be alive.'

8 months of tracking and finding him.

'Please let him be alive.'

8 months of close calls, but not close enough.

'Please let him be alive.'

He finally entered the last door, his heart beating rapidly.

'Please let him be alive.'

And there he was: Lying on the hard floor with nothing but a scratchy, blood stained cloth covering his lower half. His whole body was covered with bruises, scratches, gashes, and burns. His hair was cut short, and his eyes were barely open. If not for the slight rise and fall of his battered chest, he looked dead to the world.

He raced to his side, already taking off his jacket. He was vaguely aware of the others rushing inside beside him, equally worried as him.

But...

'He was alive.'

2 Years Ago:

"Tyson, you have been saying the same thing for the last two hours now," Kai snapped, deftly stepping over a small stone.

"But it IS close this time, I swear - OW!" Tyson interrupted himself as the same stone tripped him, and he bumped into the nearby bigger rock.

Kai turned back to give him a look of exasperation mixed with amusement, and Tyson scowled at him.

"You are a sadist, Hiwatari," Tyson muttered.

"Runs in the family, Kinomiya," Kai replied in a low voice with a self-deprecating, wry look on his face, and Tyson instantly felt bad.

Neither of them talked after that, trekking in silence to their destination - A cave on the top of the small hill. Tyson had insisted that they go there, that that was where Dranzer was, and Kai had no choice but to try this shot at getting his beloved Phoenix back. So, Gramps had driven them to the city where the hill was located, making sure that they were well equipped. Thankfully, Gramps trusted them enough to let them trek alone, on a day in which rain was forecasted. But, they both had a suspicion that Gramps didn't allow this because he trusted them, but because he trusted Dragoon and Dranzer.

They both paused to listen to the low rumbling thunder for a second, before looking at each other.

"Almost there," Tyson said once again, a tad bit too cheerful for Kai's liking.

On that day, Kai got to know that Tyson's definition of 'Almost' is three hours, and by the time they reached the cave, they were thoroughly drenched from top to bottom.

Now:

"Come on, open your eyes already," he murmured, hand still clutching his.