Chapter 7: Not On My Watch

Stars shone brightly across the overhead canopy of black. The diamonds blinked and twinkled to their heart's content, shining on the endless, black night sky. The Alitaptap, or Fireflies in English, glided softly over the dew covered grass which extended up until the great horizon.

"This is the life. . ." I whispered, intertwining my hands behind my skull, cushioning it. I leaned my back onto the mossy rock, relaxing under the twinkling canopy. It's great to finally relax and unwind for once in my life.

"You can say that again, Philippines." America's - for once - soft voice said. I heard my best friend sigh deeply, seeing him scoot closer from my peripheral vision. "We should do this more often."

Great Britain smiled softly, playing with my hair. He muttered a soft, "Yes, indeed."

Everything was blissful and undisturbed, a rare, pure moment of happiness. Being a country is a curse from time to time; always being the one to fight in wars, lead the army, confront the other country. This is a rare fleeting moment, relaxation. It felt as though nothing could change this moment. . .

"Ohonhonhonhon~ Do you want to make your night more fun~?"

Wow. . . Thanks a lot, France.

From the corner of my eye, I noticed Russia standing up, taking a few steps towards the laying nation, holding a metal pickaxe over France's head which gleamed under the moon's white rays. "You just ruined the moment, da?" Russia said, laughing his spine-tingling laugh. "Kolkolkolkolkolkolkol. . ."

I shuddered visibly and scooted even closer to America, nuzzling my nose into the crook of his neck. America went rigid, his skin heating up significantly. It was cold and he was warm. I want a hug.

"P-Piri?" He stammered, clearly nervous.

I looked back up at him and cocked my head to the side. "Hug." Was all I said. America's uncertainty was very obvious, making me want to tease this tall American.

His face turned crimson as he wrapped his arms around my waist. I happily snuggled closer into his warm embrace, satisfied with my new heat source. I have a feeling that China wouldn't be too happy when he wakes up from his nap to see us like this, especially since he tends to act like an overprotective brother. Speaking of brothers, it was a surprise for me that England was America's brother.

Looking away from America, I noticed Russia chasing the poor Frenchman with his pickaxe and a rifle. Where in the world did that rifle come from? Uh, I think it's better not to ask. Nothing ever makes sense now a-days.

"China wouldn't be too happy with this." America said, reverting my attention back to him. I turned to the American with a giggle, having just witnessed France tripping on a rock and begging Anglettere for help.

"He doesn't even trust me with Japan, Korea, and Thailand-"

"Hey, Mei Mei. Do you have an extra pamaypay-" China stopped mid-sentence as he gazed at us, his eyes darkening. His formerly peaceful aura turned dark. "I warned you never to try anything with my sister. . ." His tone was very scary in my opinion.

"Heheheh. . . Hi, China. . . ?" America said unsurely. He backed away from me with his hands up in the air, a surrender position. Without another word, America bolted away, screaming 'I regret nothing' all the way. China let out an animalistic growl as he darted after the Land of the Free.

All I did was watch idly at the humorous situations of my new-found allies. America was running for dear life with China throwing curses at him. France was desperately trying to use England as a human shield from Russia. Friendship is magic? I don't think so.

With all my attention absorbed by the comedic display, I failed to heed the approaching footsteps or the click of a gun.

"Surrender now, Repubric of the Phirippines."

America suddenly fell to the ground with a scream of pain, blood pouring from his neck at great volumes. I whipped around to face the voice, despite my urge to help America; I knew that China and the others will take care of him.

My jaw dropped at the sight before me. A man, around my height, stood his ground aggressively, a gun in his left hand and a shadow across his face. I could recognize that man's white naval uniform anywhere.

"K-k-Kuya Japan?!"

Japan, registering recognition, gawked at me. "Piri?! Shimata. Now I know why the coordinates my boss gave me were so famiriar." His expression reverted to its dark look. "Gomen, Piri. But you're the enemy."

<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>
【Present Day】
<Author's POV>

Much like a scene from the past, China was found chasing the living hell out of America, and France was once again hiding behind England to keep Russia from hacking his face out with a pick. Screaming, curses, and pleads for help rose into the formerly quiet room.

Déjà vu?

"I blame you for her disappearance, aru!"

"Dude, It's not my fault!"

"You bloody frog, get away from me!"

"HELP MOI!"

"Kolkolkolkolkol. . ."

Chaos broke through once more, the countries becoming restless. Greece and Turkey wrestled, Prussia harassed Austria, Hungary attacked Prussia, Romano was shouting curses at Spain, Norway was choking Denmark, mister Puffin was being annoying and embarrassing Iceland, countries argued, others fought, some stayed silent, so on so forth.

Germany twitched, as his anger began to reach its boiling point. Why was it always he who had to fix everything and be the mature one? This question has been bugging Germany for decades, yet he knows nothing would change and that it is all up to him to keep the other nations from starting another war.

With a final twitch, Germany stood up and bellowed, "SHUT UP, EVERYBODY!"

Flinching, the numerous group of personified countries bolted back to their seats with not another word, fear written across their faces. Germany always stopped everything, and they were grateful, yet they didn't show it because they didn't want to seem soft to the strict country. After all, who would listen to a softy?

"Please, explain. Just- Please! Mein gott, does zhis not even confuse you?!" Ludwig has had enough of being kept in the dark. Not knowing something always irked him.

It's about time someone let the cat out of the bag.

The Allies nodded at each other, agreeing with what shall be shared among the personifications. Spain caught China's eye and curtly modded in agreement, tipping his head quickly and smiling. Decades passed since the last Axis member even spoke to the girl the Allies all knew and loved.

"There is a missing country-" South Italy started.

"-And you already met her." North Italy finished.

<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

does this chapter seem short to anyone? I think it is.

Oh, well.

Read on, Hetalians!

- Chesca