Chapter 15: Beating Around the Bush

My eyes glazed over as I observed my surroundings with an analytical aura. I've taken note of everybody's attitude as the remaining ten minutes of recess rolled away to make way for one of my most dreaded subjects, History. The atmosphere was light and cheery, with a light twinge of suspicion and calculation. The way everybody acted like old friends, yet something deeper, rose my suspicion even more.

There really is something that their not telling me, and I want to find out.

My mind was set with the fact that I wanted - no, needed - to know what was so important, that they couldn't trust me with their secret. It could be something as simple as an embarrassing secret, or as complex as a secret spy investigation. Who knows, anything is possible.

I rested my chin over palm of my hand, curling my fingers to nestle it as well. These four exchange students weren't the first ones here, there were many others, so why think suspicious? That's what I couldn't answer by myself. It was like a jigsaw puzzle where I was missing a few parts, unable to put two and two together.

The main thing in my mind is, what are they doing here?

You shouldn't bother trying to think it through, Kat.

A scowl found its way onto my face and tugged my lips downwards.

No, you're wrong. What would you know anyway?

A light chuckled echoed inside my mind as the voice continued on, not caring about what I just said.

Oh, stop pretending. The spell is practically impossible to break, you - of all people - should know that.

It was my turn to release a chuckle.

Yeah, it's almost impossible to break the spell, but don't forget that it could be lifted.

The voice went silent after a long and heavy sigh. My mind was once more quiet and undisturbed without the voice nagging at me all the time. Finally. Sheesh, she's noisy. People keep saying that they couldn't make up a decision, but put them in my shoes! Could they even live within a few minutes of the voice's incessant rants?

They'd definitely say no the moment they here the voice.

Don't think I won't be listening to your conversations, though.

I rolled my eyes at the comment and scoffed internally. Nothing ever lasts forever.

You're too noisy. And when don't you listen to my private conversations?

My head rang from the voice's insolent guffaw, filling my ears and shattering all coherent thoughts as it continued to laugh like a psychotic maniac. My hands immediately flew to my ears in an unsuccessful attempt to block out the sound.

You go, girl!

Just as I was about to retort, the final bell for recess screamed for people to get their asses back into the school and onto their chairs to endure another four hours of torture before lunch. Great.

Reluctantly, I followed the group who were making their way back into the school.

The sweet smell of my favorite Jasmine look alike flowers faded into nothingness the further we stepped away. The one thing in the world that keeps me a hundred percent calm, would be Sampaguita flowers. And certainly, I could not be considered calm when I found out that Yao and Alfred were my classmates in my history class.

"See ya later, Kat!" Both Zalfa and Maria called over their shoulders. Their light footsteps grew silent as they rounded a corner and disappeared from sight, taking the other two boys with them. Great, I'm alone with these two, now.

Yao mumbled something under his breath the moment the others had disappeared from sight and ear shot. I halted abruptly and poked the Chinese man's forehead. An irk mark appeared on his head.

"What was that for?" He asked in an eerily calm voice which would have made anyone shiver. But I'm not anyone.

In response, I whispered into his ear, "Find out yourself, old man~" Yao turned white and gaped like a fish. Another hint, sir~

With that, I walked away with a whining Alfred trailing behind me, asking about what I had said to Yao which caused him to pale. I blocked out all he had said as the classroom came into view. My spine shivered as the cold air from the air conditioner danced around my baggy uniform and teased my hair.

A few questioning looks asked me the same question, Who is that? My only response was to sit in my usual chair and ignore the curious looks directed at both me and Alfred.

Alfred took the seat behind me - which I would have killed him for - just to continue whining like a five year old. "Please tell meeeeee!" He pestered. "Pleaseeeeeeeeeee!"

With my mouth open and ready to reply, Yao burst into the room and plopped himself onto the seat next to me. The way his brown eyes locked with mine would've scared away others, it was a look of pure suspicion that swam deep within his eyes as they searched my hazel ones for something, something that he wouldn't voice aloud.

He wanted the truth, huh?

Nah, I'll let them figure it out by themselves. After all, what fun would it be if they found out who I really was right away? I'm just that evil.

"How old am I. . ." He asked, a twinge of suspicion still lurking in his tone.

Well, you made myself super inconspicuous!

My nose twitched in irritation. Really?

"Fuck off." I replied in a dark tone.

Yao looked taken aback as I briefly glanced at him. Crap, I didn't say that aloud, did I?

You obviously did, genius.

Harrumphing, the brunette twisted away and finally broke eye contact. "That was rude!"

"Blame my-" Finally registering what was about to leave my lips, I clamped a hand over my mouth to muffle the next words. "Toothy." Was what came out instead of the intended word. Yao directed a confuzzled look towards me, earning a chuckle from the voice.

Great job. Again.

If only you weren't a disembodied voice, I would-

"Good morning, class."

And for once, I was happy to see a teacher, I did not need to stress over the annoying voice right now.

Mr. Mercado had arrived and was greeting the class which, now noted, consisted of several exchange students from America - not including Alfred, Indonesia, Britain, Singapore, and other countries from Europe and Asia.

Mr. Mercado briefly glanced at me from behind his huge eyeglasses. "So, Kat, have you decided to sleep again?"

"No, sir." I replied bitterly.

"Good." Mr. Mercado pointed his ruler at me like how a knight would to intimidate their opponent. "Now, what happened to the Philippines during World War Two, if you can recall, Ms. DelPillar."

It's not that I'm smart or anything when it comes to history, truth be told, I tend fail at it. Mr. Mercado knew this, and made it a normal thing to torture me with questions everyday.

"If placed generally, then it was the war between us and Japan." From the corner of my eye, I noticed Yao frowning in disapproval. "A war where America wanted to be the hero and help us." From the reflection of the window, I spotted Alfred smirking in triumph. "And where Filipinos were finally given the chance to show their worth."

"Not completely accurate, but true nonetheless."

The voice hummed a note of disapproval. That is totally worth merely giving away who you are, Kat.

And thank you for that completely useless comment, Michaela. I responded

<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

SCHOOL STARTED DX.

Oh, well. Have fun guessing and stuff guys!

- Chesca