Chapter 8: World War II

The evening sky glistened and danced with infinite shining diamonds. The moon began to dip back, shying from bright sun's intense glare as it slowly rose into the sky to claim it's place as ruler of the day. The flat plain was bordered by a large forest that stretched on, and mountains which stood above the ground in all its magnificence, towering over flora and fauna alike.

The moon's meek silver rays illuminated the stoic face of the Japanese man before me. The silence hung in the air, practically thick enough to be cut open with a sword.

I stood there, frozen in shock, unmoving like a mum stone statue. I swallowed the forming lump in my throat with an audible gulp. ". . . Japan, what are you talking about? How am I the enemy? Last I remember, you were my brother." I said, confusion lacing my tone as I continued to gaze into his dark brown eyes.

This was Japan, the man I knew as one of my brothers, a close trading partner, a friend. I would've never expected for him to turn out like this, a menacing country who claims that I am he enemy.

Someone behind me growled, another gun clicking at the exact moment.

"Japan." China sneered, his eyes flashing with hate. "What are you doing here."

Japan's lips twitched upwards into a sly smirk, an unusual feature on his normally stoic face. "Kon'nichiwa, China. I see that the arr of the Arries are here." He said, waving his hand towards the Allied Forces. Japan took a glance around him, smirking even wider as his eyes landed on the bleeding American. "I see that Hawaii was bombed by my forces. The Pearr Harbor wirr be of no use to you."

He did that? I thought that Japan was a peaceful country. My clenched fists trembled in anger, agitation spiking at an unusually high rate. What is he doing? Why is he doing it?

"Just go back to your Axis friends, chap." United Kingdom spat out, eyeing Japan with slight hate.

Russia aimed his rifle and readied it. "You are not welcome here." He said, a dark aura clouding around the tall country.

"Oui. What are you doing 'ere anyway?" France added, despite his cheery voice, the look in his eyes gave away the fact that they were not friends.

Another lump in my throat formed. If the Allies acted this way towards Japan, that must mean he was an enemy. Confrontations like this normally spark into a war. And that's the last thing we need. World War One has just ended, we don't need another one.

"How can I go back to the Axis? Germany is about to start World War Two." Japan cocked the gun at me. "That's why, I'm here."

My eyes grew wide.

"Philippines, get down!" England shouted, throwing a grenade at Japan.

I dropped to the ground in a split second, lying down with my heart racing at light speed. "Aquila, grab Japan's gun!" I screamed. The grenade exploded, merely grazing Japan's skin.

Confusion spread like a wave across the faces of my friends and brothers. Japan blinked and furrowed his brows, gazing around in confusion. America, from where he lay in a recovery position, caught my eyes and smirked, pulling two of his fingers to his lips. He blew into his fingers, creating a loud, shrill whistle.

A piercing screech of an eagle resonated from the nearby mountains, echoing in all directions like a ripple, loud although becoming softer and less audible as the distance from its point of origin expands. After a single moment, a second screech responded to the first, quick like thunder after lightning during a storm.

Aquila is my partner, her species is the rare Philippine Eagle, also known as the Monkey Eating Eagle. I found her about five years ago and tamed her, eventually bonding spiritually and making her immortal as well.