The Fallen Hero

The next morning, I put on my uniform for school and called my parents to tell them about yesterday. Let's just say Mom thought I was dating Miles. After checking my phone for the time, I grabbed my stuff for school and left my dorm.

As I was walking to class, I saw Miles hand tangled in the new girl's hair. "Oh, crap." I whispered, quickly heading to class. Let's just say I couldn't bear to watch Miles get humiliated in front of the entire school.

In the hallway, Miles was being chased by the security guards. As Miles turned to another hallway, the security guards looked at me. "Parker! Where's Morales?" He asked. "Oh, I believe he ran straight ahead." I lied. As they fell for my trick, I followed Miles into the head of security's office. "Miles, what is going on with you?" I asked. "I might've gotten my hand stuck in Gwanda's hair after trying the shoulder touch." Miles confessed, realizing where we were hiding. "No." "What are you doing in my office, Morales?!" He shouted as Miles was somehow stuck to the door."Morales, open up!" As I helped Miles get unstuck from the door, his head gets stuck in his shirt as he accidentally turned on the Spider-Man Christmas album. "Why is this happening?" Miles groaned, trying to get his shirt down, but ends up sticking to the ceiling. "Grab on!" I gasped as Miles grabbed my arms as I pulled him down. However, he spun around in the desk chair and out the window. Luckily, he stuck to the walls. I ran out of the office to try to go find Miles. "He wasn't in there, sir." I lied. "But, I needed to borrow a pen."

I found Miles' room, which was surprisingly unlocked. "Miles?" I asked. "What's up, Phoebe?" He greeted, falling onto the floor of his dorm. All of a sudden, a Spider-Man comic book landed on his face. He skimmed through the pages. ""Why is this happening?"" Miles read. ""Please stop sticking." "Please keep sticking."" "Did anything strange happen to you yesterday?" I asked. "I mean, there was this spider that bit me while I was taking pictures of the mural." Miles explains. "But it almost felt like the blood in my body was bubbling." "Well, it looks to me that New York now has two Spider-Men." I commented. "How can there be two Spider-Men?" Miles asked. "There can't be two Spider-Men. Can there?" "Only one way to find out." I replied. "Tonight, we'll go back to the abandoned track where you made the graffiti and we'll look for the spider." "Wait! One more thing." Miles pointed out. "Why are you helping me?" All of a sudden, I start having another migraine, but this time was different. I felt Miles wincing in pain from the same thing. "Because, you're like me." I replied. "And because it's also the right thing to do."

Later that night, Miles was trying to get a hold of Aaron on the subway, but he was apparently out of town. Once we got off, though, Miles and I began our search for the spider. "How long have you had your powers?" Miles asked. "8 years." I replied. Looking around the area, we found the dead spider. "It's a normal spider." Miles said. "It's, like, boring how normal this spider is." He tried to touch the spider, but it started glitching, like it was part of a video game. "That was pretty freaky." I said as I noticed some noises in the distance. "Miles, did you hear that?" "Yeah." Miles replied. As both of us walked closer, we felt so much pain in our heads. Voices. Visions. A feeling that something was wrong.

That's when glass behind us shattered as we noticed Spider-Man trying to reason with the Green Goblin. "Goblin." I gasped. "Norman, listen to me." I heard my dad say. "Spider-Man?" Miles asked. "I cannot let you open a portal to another dimension." Spider-Man explains. "Brooklyn is not zoned for that." "It's not up to me!" The Green Goblin shouted. "Why won't you quit?" "I guess I like Brooklyn not being sucked into a black hole." Spider-Man replied. "I think we should go." Miles whispered. "I'm down." I replied. "Staten Island, maybe. Not Brooklyn." Spider-Man continued. Before we could escape, Miles and I ran towards a giant device. "What is this place?" Miles asked. "Probably a death trap." I replied as the Green Goblin crashed into us while fighting Spider-Man. We could barely hang onto the device. All of a sudden, Miles lost his grip and began falling. "Miles!" I shouted, losing my grip as well. When all hope seemed lost for us, Spider-Man put his fight with the Green Goblin on hold to come and rescue Miles and I. He brought us both to a safe place. "Did you know your shoes are untied?" He asked Miles. "This is a onesie, so I don't really have to worry about it." While I was around Spider-Man and Miles, I felt a constant vibrating in my head. "I thought I was the only one. You're both like me." "I don't wanna be." Miles said. "I don't think you have a choice, kiddo." Spider-Man explains. "Got a lot going through your head, I'm sure. But, at least you have someone by your side. You're gonna be fine. I can help you both. If you stick around, I can show you the ropes." "Yeah." We agreed in unison. "I just need to destroy this big machine real quick, before the space-time continuum collapses. Don't move." Spider-Man said, looking at both of us. "See you in a bit." He swings up to the top of the machine to disable it, but he's soon being attacked by the Prowler. "You can do this, Dad." I mumbled. Miles pulled out his phone to record a video of the fight. "I wouldn't post that on YouTube if I were you. Just saying." "We should go up there and help him." Miles said. "But, neither of us know how to use our powers." I warned. Before we knew it, the machine was being activated. Everything around us started shaking and we were soon grabbing onto metal bars. I noticed the Green Goblin holding Spider-Man in the portal as the whole thing collapsed.

In the wreckage, I was lucky enough to find Miles. "Phoebe!" He gasped, hugging me. "Are you okay?" "Yeah, I think so." I replied. "What about you?" "I've been better." Miles explains, noticing that Spider-Man was unconscious with a partially torn up mask and suit. I was just about in tears. "Hey. Are you okay?" "I'm fine, I'm fine. I'm just resting." He replied. "Can you get up?" I asked. "Yeah, I always get up." Spider-Man weakly replied, beginning to cough. "The coughing's probably not a good sign." "Find him, now." I heard someone say. "Listen, we gotta team up here. We don't have that much time." Spider-Man explains, handing us a small device. "This override key is the only way to stop the collider. Swing up there, use this key, push the button and blow it up. Both of you need to hide your face. You don't tell anyone who you are. No one can know. He's got everyone in his pocket. If he turns on the machine again, everything you know will disappear. Your family, everyone. Promise me you'll do this." "I promise." Miles said. "Me too." I whimpered. "Go. Destroy the collider." He ordered. "I'll come and find you." Miles and I ran to a safe spot, seeing the villain known as Kingpin. "I'd say it's nice to see you again, Spider-Man, but it's not." "Hey, Kingpin." Spider-Man greeted weakly. "How's business?" "Booming! Nice. Aw, that's a no-no." Kingpin replied, removing his mask to reveal my stepfather to everyone, including Miles. "Phoebe." Miles said. "Isn't that..." "My dad." I sniffed. "I wasn't bitten by a spider. He gave me some of his blood." "This might open a black hole under Brooklyn." Kingpin said. "It can't be worth the risk." Dad explains. "It's not always about the money, Spider-Man." Kingpin replied. "Don't you wanna know what I saw in there?" Dad asked. "I know what you're trying to do, and it won't work. They're gone." Filled with fury, Kingpin killed my dad, right in front of me. "Get rid of the body." Kingpin ordered as Miles made sound from a metal bar. "What was that?"

Miles and I quickly ran away from the wreckage. But it wasn't much longer until we were being chased by the Prowler. We luckily escaped from him after leaving the subway. "That was close." Miles sighed with relief, but then, he turned to me. "Phoebe?" "My dad is gone!" I cried. "What about my mom? Who's gonna protect New York if none of us are ready?" Miles pulled me into a hug to try and comfort me. "It's okay. I'll always be here for you." Miles replied.

Instead of going back to my dorm, I ran home to stay with Mom for a while. I knocked on the door as she answered. "Phoebe? Why aren't you at school?" Mom asked as I hugged her, still in tears. "Why are you crying?" "It's Dad." I whimpered. "He's gone." Mom began bawling as she went to the phone to call Aunt May.