Not What He Seems

We took the bus back to the city. Gwen told us her story, which included her losing her best friend, an alternate version of my dad. "He broke this?" Gwen asked. "Yeah. He's actually really embarrassed about it, so, keep it between us, okay?" Miles lied, making me and Gwen let out a laugh. "I know where we can make a new one. And we won't let him break it this time." Gwen explains. "I'm sorry about your friend." Miles apologized. "My dad always told me that the hardest part about this is that you can't always save everyone." I added. "Thanks, guys." Gwen replied. "I know how hard this is. To have to try to figure this out on your own. It's kinda nice not being the only Spider-person around." "Yeah." Miles said. "If you ever decide to do friends again, I can always open up a slot." "Same here." I smiled. "I'll keep you posted." Gwen replied. "Cool." Miles said.

Gwen took us to Aunt May's house for some reason. I rang the doorbell. "We should probably go." Peter said. "Peter, we're literally on the doorstep." Gwen sighed. "Bad idea. This is a bad idea." Peter commented. "Just relax. Let me do the talking." I explained. Aunt May answered the door. "You guys are all very sweet, but no more fans today, please." She said. "Oh, Phoebe. Are you hurt? I was getting worried." "Hi, Aunt May. I'm fine." I greeted. "This may sound strange, but I have some unusual guests." I moved aside as she saw everyone else. "I'm not ready for this." Peter said. "Peter?" Aunt May asked. "Hey, Aunt May." Peter greeted. "So, this is going to sound crazy, but I'm pretty sure that I'm from an..." "An alternate dimension." Aunt May interrupted. "You look tired, Peter." "Yeah, well, I am tired." Peter replied. "And older. And thicker." Aunt May continued. "Yeah, I've heard that already." Peter groaned. "Jeez, are those sweatpants?" Aunt May asked. "Yup, that's what they are." Gwen replied. "Phoebe and I were there when it all happened." Miles explains, hugging me. "I am so sorry." "And what dimension are you from?" Aunt May asked. "Brooklyn." Miles replied. "Aunt May, do you know if Dad had a place where we could make another one of these?" I asked, showing her the broken device. "A goober." Aunt May said. "Follow me."

Aunt May took us to the shed in the backyard. "Oh, yeah, I got one of these, too. A little old shed where I keep my Spider-gear." Peter explains as May unlocks the shed, revealing a secret lair. "This place is pretentious." Going down, we see a bunch of Dad's old gear. A Spider-Buggy, a plane, whatever you can think of. "Was yours anything like this?" Miles asked. "Mine was like this, but take away the jeep, the plane. Imagine it way smaller. Imagine a futon. I feel sad for this guy." Peter explains. "Dad never told me about this place." I said, just noticing a suit, labeled Phoebe. "It looks like you." Miles complimented. "Thanks." I smiled. "Ooh, look at that one." I showed Miles a Spider-Man suit with a cape. "Hey, Peter. I think this is a cape." Miles joked, getting a chuckle out of Peter. He then walked in front of the original suit. "Peter knew how dangerous the job was." Aunt May explained. "But he figured the only person who could stop this guy was Spider-Man. "Kingpin knows we're coming." Miles said. "We're going to be outnumbered." "Don't be so sure. You might need these." May reassured us, handing out name tags and sharpies. All of a sudden, the Peter tingle kicked in. "You think you're the only people who thought to come here?" "Hey, fellas." A black suit Spider-Man greeted. "Is he in black and white?" I asked. "Where's that wind coming from? We're in a basement." Peter wondered. "Wherever I go, the wind follows." He replied. "And the wind, it smells like rain." "Hi guys." A young girl greeted in Japanese. She also had a Spider-Robot. "This could literally not get any weirder." Peter said. "Oh, it can get weirder." A Spider-Pig explains, holding out his wet hand. "I just washed my hands, that's why they're wet. No other reason." "You're like me!" We all gasped. We listened to their stories, which basically sounded the same. "Okay! Enough!" Peter shouted. "So, how did you get here?" "Well, it's kind of a long story." Peter Noir explained. "Maybe not that long." "And now, we're just trying to find a way home." Peni said. "The only way home is back through that collider gizmo." Peter Noir explains. "The only trouble is..." "One of us has to stay behind and destroy it." Peter Porker interrupted. "I'll do it." The interdimensional spiders volunteered. "No, no, no, you guy don't get it." I said. "Don't get what?" Peni asked as they all began glitching. "None of you can stay here. If you stay here, you'll die." I continued. "Miles and I are gonna turn it off." "And we're gonna get you all home before we do." Miles added. "We made a promise, so we have to keep it." "Who are you again?" Peter Noir asked. "This is Miles and Phoebe." Peter explains. "And they're gonna save the multiverse." "Yeah, man." Miles said. "Miles can turn himself invisible. Watch this. He can do it now." Peter continues. "I can't do it on command." Miles explains. "He can't do it on command." Peter repeated. "But it is cool. Show them the zappy thing, Miles." "Can't do it on command." Miles said again. "He can't do it on command." Peter repeats himself. "But he can do so much more. Like, what else can you do?" "Just those two things." Miles replied. "Just those two things." Peter repeated. "Look, I've seen them both in action." Gwen explains. "They've got potential. I think they're gonna get us home." "Okay, little fellas, Kingpin's gonna send a lot of mugs after ya. I'm talking hard boys, real biscuit boxers. Can you fight them all off at once?" Peter Noir asked. "Well, we've never actually fought anyone." Miles explained. "Surprise attack!" He shouted, kicking us to the ground. "Can you rewire a mainframe while being shot at?" Peni asked. "Mainframe, yes. While shots are fired, I don't know." I replied. So many questions were asked at the same time. "Can you help your aunt create an online dating profile so she can get out of the dang house once in a while?" Aunt May asked. "Not really related to this, but I can help you out later, Aunt May." I replied. "Above all, no matter how many times you get hit, can you get back up?" Gwen asked. After being hit so many times, Miles and I were both frustrated. Although we didn't have any mind reading powers, we knew exactly what the other spiders were thinking. We were weak links. Miles and I decided to leave in order to clear our heads.

While on the streets, I could tell that Miles was struggling. "I can't imagine what you're going through." I said. "Why?" Miles sighed. "Because you know how to use your powers?" "No, I don't. I've had the powers for 8 years, but neither my mom or dad wanted me to have them." I explained. "My biological parents were friends of MJ. She used to babysit me when I was little. When my parents died in a car crash, I needed a blood transfusion. That's when Peter came in and was a match. MJ thought that Peter's blood would kill me, but he was willing to do whatever it takes. They adopted me after they graduated high school. I lived with Aunt May until Peter and MJ finished college." "Wow, I'm so sorry, Phoebe." Miles apologized. "Thanks. It's just been hard." I sighed. "Since my dad was revealed to be Spider-Man to the public, I feel like everyone is going to treat me differently. Telling me to be more like my dad." "I can relate. Sort of." Miles replied, declining a call from his father. "You saw how everyone was judging us." "Yeah, Spider-People especially want me to be like my dad." I grumbled. "I know just the place where we can clear our heads."

We decided to go to Aaron's apartment, but no one was home. I knew that wasn't gonna stop Miles. We snuck into the apartment where Miles decided to write a letter to his uncle for when he returned.

Dear Uncle Aaron,
I gotta do something, and I don't know if I can do it. I'm scared, man. I'm just tired of letting everyone down. You're one of the only ones I can talk to. I just wish you were here.

All of a sudden, we heard clashing coming from inside the apartment. "What the crap was that?" I whispered. We noticed the Prowler coming through the window. Since I couldn't turn invisible like Miles, I hid inside a cupboard. Prowler got a phone call from Kingpin. "Hello, Mr Fisk. I've got the security tapes for the tunnel right here." He greeted. "If the kids are out there, I'll find them. You know me, sir. I don't ever quit." Prowler took off his mask, revealing himself to me Miles's uncle, Aaron.

Miles got out quickly while still invisible. Aaron went to follow him. I wasn't far behind. We ran into the streets, where Aaron was trying to ram us with his motorcycle and or stab us with his claws. Miles and I were able to outrun Aaron, who mysteriously disappeared after his motorcycle crashed.