Twelve

Seven hours, seven hours, I have been sitting in the family room at Med, waiting for some news on my brother. These seven hours felt like a whole eternity. I was completely on my own. Intelligence was interrogating Ray Alan about shooting my brother and the murder of Ruby Simmons before contacting NCIS to deal with the rest. 

Still sitting in the waiting room with my bulletproof vest on, clutching my cell phone in my hands, with tears dripping down my cheek. Will kept popping in every so often, whilst he was on shift but a majority of it, I was on my own. On my own with my own thoughts being constantly worried about my brother. As I was daydreaming, my phone was ringing and Gallo's name was on the caller ID. 

Beth: Hello (my voice was cracking)

Gallo: Babe you alright? 

Beth: I'm currently sat at Med 

Gallo: You alright? Are you hurt?

Beth: I'm not hurt. Jay was shot this morning at the district. My best friend's possible killer shot my brother. My brother crashed in the ambulance and I had to kneel on the side of the gurney and perform CPR on my brother and I was still doing it as they rushed him into the ER. It's been almost 8 hours and I've heard nothing and I'm scared something has happened to my brother and I don't want anything to happen to him. 

Just then the rest of the intelligence walked into the waiting room 

Beth: Babe I'll call you later, the rest of the unit has just turned up

Gallo: Alright angel, speak later, I love you 

Beth: I love you too 

I hang up the phone and look up at the rest of the unit that is standing in front of me. 

"Any news on Jay yet?" Voight asked me. "No news for the past 8 hours" I replied trying not to burst into tears in the process. The team sits down and there is an uncomfortable silence between everyone and there was some tension which could literally be cut with a knife. Half and hour passed and Dr Choi walked into the waiting room, I saw him walking in out the corner of my eye and I stood up immediately.

"Ethan, hows Jay? What took so long?" I asked with my voice shaking. "Jay has been in surgery, the bullet nicked a one of the main arteries in his shoulder, which caused some major bleeding. We did brought him out of surgery and the bleeding restarted, so we had to take him back into surgery to stop the bleeding again. Jay is now stable and in ICU so we can monitor him" Choi stated. "Can I see my brother?" I asked. "Of course, I'll take you up there now" Ethan said. 

Myself and the rest of the unit left the waiting room and headed up to the ICU ward to go and see Jay. Once we got to his room on the ward, I pulled up the chair from the corner of the room and sat right next to his bed and held his hand and just laid my head on the bed. Suddenly I heard a buzzing sound, I thought it was one of the machines but it was Hailey's phone, so she left the room and the room was filled with silence once again. Then the door opened and it was just Will, who came and stood behind me and placed his hands on my shoulders to try and relax me.

A couple of minutes later Hailey came back into the room and spoke up. "That was Trudy on the phone, prison transport has just turned up, but Ray is refusing to move until he has spoken to Beth". I lifted my head and look at the rest of the unit, before getting up out the chair and walking out of the room and down the hall towards the elevators but as i get in the elevator, Will gets in as well. 

"You really gonna talk to this guy" Will said. "I'm going to go and teach this bastard a lesson and that lesson being not to mess with a Halstead. I'll be back in 30 minutes" I stated as I walked out the elevator and trough the ER to the bus stop to get the bus back to the district. When the bus arrived, I just showed the driver my badge and he let me on without having to pay the fare and i sat down for the 20 minute journey back to 21st district.