Fourteen

A few days have passed in the shooting at the district and Jay is out of the hospital and under strict orders to rest at home for the next week before, coming back to work and being on desk duty for the next month to two months until his shoulder is fully healed. And yes my brother is staying with me until he is able to back to work.

"Jay, I'm off to work now, are you going to be okay?" I said as I was putting my jacket on. "Beth, I am going to be fine, I'll call you if anything happens. I promise, now go or you'll be late" my brother said. "Alright, I'm going. I'll call you when I've got a break" I replied. Jay nodded in response and I left for the district. 

Once I got to the district, I went into the breakroom and grabbed a cup of coffee before heading over to my desk. It honestly felt strange without my brother sitting at the desk next to me and throwing paper at me, but he'll be back soon and back to his cheeky antics. Just after having a sip of coffee, my bestie walks into the bullpen. 

"Good morning Adam," I said in a cheery tone. "Good Morning Beth, how are you?" he asked. "I'm good. Just glad I don't have to hear Jay moaning about how bored he is, every couple of minutes because that is doing my head in" I responded. "Knowing your brother, he would rather be at work than at home," Adam said. I nodded, letting out a little laugh. Within the next 10 minutes, the rest of the unit arrives. Voight has put me in charge of the unit today, to see how I cope under the pressure. But he said he would step in if needed, but for today he is observing me. The rest of the unit know that today is my observation day. 

Just as the silence was sitting there, Kevin pipes up and starts talking. "Guys we've got a case". "Set the board up Kev and talk us through what we've got so far" I stated. Everyone got up from their desks and stood around the board. 

"Niall Cunningham, 19 years old, was murdered at his home address over in Pilsen last night at around 23:20. A neighbour heard two males yelling and that one was shouting some violent threat, which caused them to call 911. He lived with his mother Freida Cunningham and older brother Myles Cunnigham. Niall and his brother haven't got a good relationship as they are always at loggerhead with each other" Kev said. "What have we got on the brother?" I asked the team. "Myles is 24 years old and has a rap sheet that could go on for miles. Offences include assault, assault and battery, firearm offences, sexual assault, DUI's, 3 murders but new got charged for them" Hailey stated. "Burgess, Ruzek head over to the Cunningham's home and speak with the brother, if he isn't willing to co-operate then bring him in and we can interrogate him then," I said and Adam and Kim grab their coats and leave the bullpen and head over to Pilsen to got and speak to the victim's brother. "While we wait for Kim and Adam to come back, I need background on the family, any relatives that have a recent criminal record or anything that is close to the Cunningham family, if need be contact your CI's to see if they know anything is that clear," I said. "Yes, Sarge," Hailey and Kev said. 

Everyone heads back to their desks and I start doing some digging on the mother. As I was waiting for the database to load, my desk phone starts ringing and I answer. 

Beth: Sergeant Bethany Halstead

Choi: Hiya Beth, it's Ethan from Med

Beth: Hiya Ethan, you alright?

Ethan: I'm alright but the reason I am calling is that your father has been brought in and you're his next of Kin. I'll explain everything once, you get to Med. I have told Wi but he is going to wait for you to get here and he has told me to tell you to call Jay and let him know. 

Beth: That's fine, I'll be there in about 15 minutes, I've just got to talk to Voight and then I'll be on my way. I'll call Jay once I'm in the car. 

Ethan: That's fine, see you shortly. 

Ethan hangs up and I get up and head over to Voight's office and knock on the door. "Come in," a gruff voice said. I open the door and walk into the office. "Beth, what can I do for you?" Voight said. "Sarge, I'm going to have to go. I've just had a call from Med, saying my dad has been brought into the ER and is being stubborn as always. I'm down as his next of Kin" I said. "Go, I'll handle the rest of the case. Family is important, especially when a loved one is in hospital" he responded. I nodded and left the office, grabbed my jacket, headed to the locker room and grabbed my bulletproof vest, just in case I get called during my visit to Med. Once I've got everything I need, I walk out of the locker room and head to my car and at the same time, I call Jay. 

Jay: Hello

Beth: Hi Jay, I've just had a call from Ethan at Med.

Jay: What about?

Beth: Dad's in the ER Jay, I don't know what for, but Will already knows but apparently I need to be there because I'm dad's next of Kin. 

Jay: I'll be there in 15 minutes 

Beth: Alright, I'm just leaving the district now, so I'll see you shortly

Jay: Bye 

I hang the phone up and head to over to Med, to see what is up with my dad, knowing him, he will be as stubborn as always. Like all Halsteads are. 

Sorry that this chapter is kind of short, I've been caught up in so many assignments. I might be ending this story soon, so I can focus on my other one