CHAPTER III

PERCY JACKSON

"Um... okay."

That was nothing compared to Grover. He gasped, then knelt hastily in the snow and started yammering, "Thank you, Lady Artemis! You're so... you're so... Wow!"
"Get up, goat boy!" Thalia snapped. "We have other things to worry about. Annabeth is gone!"

"Whoa," Bianca di Angelo said. "Hold up. Time out."

Everybody looked at her. She pointed her finger at everyone in turn, like she was trying to connect the dots. "Who... who are you people?"

Artemis's expression softened."It might be a better question, my dear girl, to ask who are you! Who are your parents?"

Bianca glanced nervously at her brother,  who was still staring in awe at Artemis, then at Malina who was trying to calm Nico down.

Our parents are dead," Bianca said. "We're orphans. We only have Lina and ourselves. There's a bank trust that pays for our school, but..."

She faltered. Percy guessed she could tell from their faces that they didn't believe her.

"What?" she demanded, looking at Malina. "I'm telling the truth."

"You are a half-blood," Zoe Nightshade said. Her accent was hard to place. It sounded old- fashioned, like she was reading from a really old book.

"One of thy parents was mortal. The other was an Olympian."
"An Olympian... athlete?"
"No," Zoe said. "One of the gods."
"Cool!" said Nico.
"No!" Bianca's voice quavered. "This is not cool!"

Bianca looked at Malina, begging her to tell her that it wasn't true.

"Oh Ina, I'm so sorry but its true. Why do you think I always supported Nekk's playing Mythomagik? That's also the reason why I suggested you write your English paper on greek Mythology. I wanted you to be somewhat prepared for when you find out"

Percy's gaze wondered to her face studing her. He had to admit she was very beautiful in her own way, but again her eyes unerved him. whenever you looked at her eyes he felt lost, like he could get lost in them at anny given moment. But there was something else there aswel. Percy wasnt quite sure what it was, but it made him feel broke, as if he were sudenly bejond repair, never to see the sun again.

In that moment Percy Jackson decided he would protect Malina Ashwood no matter what. Even if it would cost his life.

Nico danced around like he needed to use the restroom. "Does Zeus really have lightning bolts that do six hundred damage? Does he get extra movement points for—"
"Nico, shut up!" Bianca put her hands to her face. "This is not your stupid Mythomagic game, okay? There are no gods!"

Again she looked at Malina for comfort, still hoping the older girl would tell her it was all just some crule joke, but Malina only shook her head. No.

As anxious as Percy felt about Annabeth—all he wanted to do was search for her—he couldn't help feeling sorry for the di Angelos. He remembered what it was like for him when he first learned he was a demigod.
Thalia must've been feeling something similar, because the anger in her eyes subsided a little bit. "Bianca, I know it's hard to believe. But the gods are still around. Trust me. They're immortal. And whenever they have kids with regular humans, kids like us, well... Our lives are dangerous."

"Dangerous," Bianca said, "like the girl who fell." Thalia turned away, and Malina looked to the ground in shame, as if it were his fault. Even Artemis looked pained.
"Do not despair for Annabeth," the goddess said. "She was a brave maiden. If she can be found, I shall find her."
"Then why won't you let us go look for her?" Percy asked.