CHAPTER IV

Malina Ashwood

Artemis had led them to the last tent, which looked no different from the others, and waved us inside.

"Take a seat." Artemis said gestring to the pillows on the floor, opposite from where she had sat.

She studied both their faces.

"Tell me what happened" Artemis asked, the question directed at Bianca.

Bianca started telling her in full detail what happened. How Dr. Thorn had grabbed Nico first, making us follow.

She stopped once she got to the point where the hunters had arrived.

"Where did you get that sword from Lina? I have never seen it before today. How did you get it?" Asked Bianca looking at her with intrest.

Malina looked away, not wanting to look into Bianca's eyes. She felt guilty for not telling them sooner, although she knew it had been for their protection.

Malina shook her head, forcing herself to focus on the subject at hand.

When she raised her gaze her eyes met the silver of Artemises eye's.

Great, now she felt even more unsettled.

"It was a gift long ago. Given to me by someone who once helt a special place in heart" she answered briefly, not liking where this conversation was headed.

Artemis seemed to notice this, her eyes sofening, and called over a girl, who she knew to be Zoé Nightshade.

They exchanged a few words in rapid Greek, before Zoé left them alone once again, though they didn't have to wait long before she returned with Percy Jackson.

"Join us, Percy Jackson," the goddess said.
Percy sat down next to her across from Artemis on the tent floor. The goddess studied him, which made Percy visibly uncomfortable, so without thinking Malina reached for his hand in an effort to comfort him.

"Are you surprised by my age?" she asked Percy.
"Uh... a little."answeared Percy making Malina supres a laugh.

"I could appear as a grown woman, or a blazing fire, or anything else I want, but this is what I prefer. This is the average age of my Hunters, and all young maidens for whom I am patron, before they go astray."
"Go astray?" Percy asked.

"Grow up. Become smitten with boys. Become silly, preoccupied, insecure. Forget themselves." Artemis said, her silver eyes burning with an emotion Malina couldn't place.
"Oh." was all Percy had to offer.

Zoe sat down at Artemis's right. She glared at Percy as if all the stuff Artemis had just said was his fault, like he'd invented the idea of being a guy, Malina who noticed this scooted a little closer to Percy.

"You must forgive my Hunters if they do not welcome you," Artemis said. "It is very rare that we would have boys in this camp. Boys are usually forbidden to have any contact with the Hunters. The last one to see this camp..." She looked at Zoe. "Which one was it?"

"That boy in Colorado," Zoe said. "You turned him into a jackalope."
"Ah, yes." Artemis nodded, satisfied. "I enjoy making jackalopes. At any rate, Percy, I've asked you here so that you might tell me more of the manticore. Bianca and Malina have reported some of the... mmm, disturbing things the monster said. But they may not have understood all of them. I'd like to hear them from you."

Percy stiffend momentarly, befor recounting the events.
When he was done, Artemis put her hand thoughtfully on her silver bow. "I feared this was the answer."
Zoe sat forward. "The scent, my lady?"