CHAPTER V

Percy Jackson

Artemis assured them that dawn was coming, but you could've fooled him. It was colder and darker and snowier than ever. Up on the hill, Westover Hall's windows were completely lightless.

Percy wondered if the teachers had even noticed the di Angelos, Malin's and Dr. Thorn were missing yet. He also wondered how Malina's father would react to the news that his daughter was missing.

Percy didn't want to be around when they did. With his luck, the only name Mrs. Gottschalk would remember was "Percy Jackson," and then he'd be the subject of a nationwide manhunt... again.

The Hunters broke camp as quickly as they'd set it up. Percy stood shivering in the snow, next to Malina, still holding her hand never having let go of it. Unlike the Hunters, who didn't seem to feel at all uncomfortable, and Artemis stared into the east like she was expecting something.

Bianca sat off to one side, talking with Nico. Percy could tell from his gloomy face that she was explaining her decision to join the Hunt. Percy saw Nicos gaze wondering to where Malina stood, and it was obveies that he was relived that she hadn't joined aswell.

Percy couldn't help thinking how selfish it was of her, abandoning her brother and leavng Malina like that.

Thalia and Grover came up and huddled around them, anxious to hear what had happened in his audience with the goddess.
When Percy told them, Grover turned pale. "The last time the Hunters visited camp, it didn't go well."

"How'd they even show up here?" Percy wondered. "I mean, they just appeared out of nowhere."

Malina looked at him befor explaining "The hunters were following the scent of a strong Monster. It led them here, though Dr.Thorn wasn't the Monster they were searching for."

Percy looked at her face, for what felt like the hundreth time that day. "How did you-" but befor he could finish he was cut of by Thalia.

"And Bianca joined them," Thalia said, disgusted. "It's all Zoe's fault. That stuck-up, no good—"
"Who can blame her?" Grover said. "Eternity with Artemis?" He heaved a big sigh.

Thalia rolled her eyes. "You satyrs. You're all in love with Artemis. Don't you get that she'll never love you back?"
"But she's so... into nature," Grover swooned. "You're nuts," said Thalia, before turning to Malina and offering her a smal smile. "Im glad you didn't join aswell. I hope we can be friends."

Grover, who was still thinking about Artemis muttered "Nuts and berries,"
Finally the sky began to lighten. Artemis muttered, "About time. He's so-o-o lazy during the winter."

"You're, um, waiting for sunrise?" Percy asked, which Malina thought to be a fair question.
"For my brother. Yes."

Percy didn't want to be rude. He knew the legends about Apollo—or sometimes Helios— driving a big sun chariot across the sky. But he also knew that the sun was really a star about a zillion miles away. He'd gotten used to some of the Greek myths being true, but still... he didn't see how Apollo could drive the sun.

"It's not exactly as you think," Artemis said, like she was reading his mind. "Oh, okay." Percy started to relax. "So, it's not like he'll be pulling up in a—" There was a sudden burst of light on the horizon. A blast of warmth. "Don't look," Artemis advised. "Not until he parks."
Parks?

Percy was to shoked to averted his eyes. He knew that if he didnt look away soon he would be blind, but luckely Malina had seemed to notice. Malina, who had indeed noticed had used her hand to cover Percy's eyes.

The light and warmth intensified until his winter coat felt like it was melting off of him. Then suddenly the light died.
Slowley he felt Malina taking her hand away from his eyes.