Plane Rides - 5

After an hour delay, team USA was finally able to board their plane. Bombay passed out their tickets at random, not particularly interested in trying to seat people together. Julie was given the middle seat and had been placed next to Indiana by chance. Indiana placed Julie's carry-on in the overhead storage bin, followed by her own luggage. Indiana had been given the aisle seat. Much to his dismay, Guy had been given the window seat. Across the row from them was Charlie on the aisle seat, Adam in the middle, with Connie at the window.

The first hour went by pretty quickly. Everyone had been pretty talkative, everyone excited to be on a plane headed to Los Angeles, where most of team USA had never been. Guy was even talkative, involving himself in Julie and Indiana's conversation. After the newness of the plane had worn off, Indiana had found herself with a sleeping Julie on her shoulder. Indiana shook her head softly and chuckled, noticing how most of the Ducks had fallen asleep or were attempting to.

Connie jumped over a daydreaming Adam and a sleeping Charlie. She walked herself to the bathroom moments before coming back. "Indiana," whisper-yelled Connie, catching Indiana's attention.

"What's up, Connie?" Asked Indiana.

"Do you think we could switch seats? I think I'm going to be sick if I have to look out the window any longer," explained Connie.

Indiana was going to explain to her that she simply could just roll down the blinds over the window, but she decided against it as she saw the pleading look on Connie's face. "As long as you don't mind Julie laying on your shoulder, I'm fine with switching."

Connie thanked her profusely as Indiana unbuckled herself from her seat and stood up, causing Julie to stir. Connie immediately took her place, allowing Julie to nuzzle her head into the girl's shoulder. Connie and Indiana snickered, Connie giving Julie a light pat on the head.

Indiana stepped over the legs of Charlie carefully, almost tripping as she lifted her right foot. She cringed as Charlie moved in his sleep. Luckily for Indiana, Charlie hadn't woken up. Adam noticed the girl making her way to the window seat, offering his hands out for her to stabilize herself. The girl grabbed both of his hands, stepping over Adams legs and throwing herself back into the seat.

Adam raised his eyebrow as if to question her presence in Connie's seat. "She said she was feeling sick or something," mentioned Indiana. Adam nodded, a small smile appearing on his lips. "Plus, it doesn't hurt to get away from a sleeping Julie."

Adam laughed, "Charlie was trying to cuddle me in his sleep, so I know how you feel."

"Not a physical affection kind of guy?" Indiana asked, teasing the boy.

"Not with Charlie, that's for sure," replied Adam, looking at the boy to his left and chuckling softly.

"He was pretty upset about not keeping the Duck's name or colors," explained Indiana.

Adam sighed, "Yeah, he's like that. He just wants things to stay the same, y'know? I mean he built up the ducks before I even got there so it makes sense."

"You weren't an original duck?" asked Indiana.

Adam took a deep breath, "No, I wasn't. I was on the rival team, actually."

Indiana sat up, turning her body towards him, "so how'd you end up with the Ducks?"

"So, I was playing with the Hawks, and we were like this powerhouse of a peewee team. You see, the way that our teams are split is based on the areas that we lived in, and the lines had recently been redrawn. And then one day, Gordon Bombay comes to our practice and tells our coach that I've been playing for the wrong team," Adam explained, remembering the person who he once was.

"So you had to join the Ducks?" Indiana asked.

"Basically. It took a while to gain the team's trust, but eventually we came together and dethroned the Hawks in our championship game," said Adam.

"Huh," remarked Indiana. "So, are you saying we can earn the team's trust by winning a gold medal?"

Adam chuckled, "If that's what it takes, then yeah. I wouldn't worry about that, though. Plenty of the team seems to like you. Plus, if you have Charlie's approval, you're golden."

"I'll keep that in mind, thanks Banks," said Indiana, smiling at the boy.

The boy smiled back, "No problem, Gaffney."

Indiana hadn't even felt tired, but it was soon after that she had fallen asleep watching the plane soar amongst the clouds. The view was so peaceful, she couldn't understand how Connie wouldn't want to be sitting where she was. The company wasn't too bad, either. Adam watched as the girl stared at the clouds passing by with admiration before she drifted off to bed. Adam looked around for someone to talk to, quickly noticing how everyone else had fallen asleep as well. Banks sighed, closing his own eyes and hoping to get some rest.

Charlie was the one who shook Adam awake, the smirk plastered on his face alarming Adam. Charlie pointed to his right, Adam following his gaze as he turned to see Indiana fast asleep on his shoulder. Adam moved his head from on top of hers and glared back at the boy, who instantly turned away. Adam turned to the girl once again, gently tapping her shoulder in an attempt to wake her up. The plane had landed, and those in front of them had begun to walk off of the aircraft.

"Indiana," the boy whispered. Indiana's eyes shot open, widening as she noticed her position on his shoulder.

"I'm so sorry," Indiana profusely apologized, wiping her eyes with her hands and mentally facepalming. She couldn't believe she had actually fallen asleep on him.

"It's okay," Adam began. "I fell asleep on you, too." Indiana sighed, instantly feeling better that she wasn't the only one who felt rather embarrassed.

Adam grabbed Indiana's bag from the overhead storage bin, later grabbing his own as well.

"What, you're not going to get mine for me, Banksy?" Taunted Charlie, earning himself a glare from the boy. After getting off of the plane and grabbing their luggage, the team groggily walked to a small van which was sent courtesy of Hendrix Hockey. Luckily for them, the van ride didn't take long at all.

Team USA arrived at the dorms, quickly checking into each room. Both the boys and girls would be living on floor two of the team USA housing. Due to the number of athletes at the Junior Goodwill Games, each country was given their own building to live in. Luckily for each country's hockey teams, the dorms were only steps away from the rink where the games were being held. The girls sat at the sign-in tent, watching as all different sports athletes from Germany, Trinidad, Canada, and more walked from tent to tent. The girls checked into room 206, where they would be living with another member of the team, Connie, for the duration of the trip. The room was built like a college dorm, with three beds spread out across the room. Indiana walked in first, grabbing the bed nearest to the windows. Julie took the bed in the middle, while Connie took the bed closest to the door. Each of the girls were given a dresser across from their beds alongside the wall, where they each unpacked their clothes for the next few weeks. The rest of the boys were split evenly into four different rooms. Unlike other teams' coaches, team USA learnt relatively quickly that coach Bombay would not be staying with them. Instead, each floor had floor assistants to help out when needed. They were given a few rules: quiet hours after 12 A.M., curfew at 10 P.M., and every player must attend dinner with their teams. Despite only knowing her team for a short amount of time, Indiana knew that the first two rules were simply meant to be broken.

Team USA, all suited up in red, white, and blue, walked in a group outside towards the main arena for the Junior Goodwill games. After what felt like a long plane ride with Julie slumped over her sister's shoulder for some of it, Indiana couldn't wait to play hockey.