Trinidad - 6

"Welcome to Los Angeles, California and the Junior Goodwill games. As teams from around the world arrive to compete in both winter and summer events. The USA is expected to score well in the medal count, especially in basketball, swimming, and hockey. And there's team USA hockey led by Coach Gordon Bombay. They're looking fit and anxious to begin the competition. Tonight's game matches the second-seeded team USA against the tenth-seeded team, Trinidad Tobago. This marks the first game for USA in this double elimination winner-take-all tournament."

The team sat in the locker room, every player almost finished dressing into their hockey equipment. Indiana sat with her female counterpart Connie on her right and Averman to her left. Julie and Goldberg, being goaltenders, had taken the largest stalls by the door.

"You nervous?" Connie asked Indiana, noticing her tapping her foot in anticipation.

"I guess so. I mean, me and Julie have played with the same team for the past three years-- it's just a lot to get used to," replied Indiana.

"Rumor has it you took Jesse's spot on the first line," whispered Connie.

Indiana perked up, pulling the laces of her skates. "Who did you hear this from?"

"Guy," Connie stated, and Indiana rolled her eyes.

"I'm not sure if Guy is a reliable source," Indiana smirked at the girl. Guy, overhearing his own name, looked over at the girls furrowing his eyebrows. Both Indiana and Connie erupted in laughter at the boy's confusion, causing him to shake his head with his eyes closed in annoyance.

"I guess we will find out when Bombay comes in," explained Connie. A knock on the door was heard outside the locker room. Goldberg, closest to the door, opened it to reveal an older looking man who looked sternly around the room for someone. Making eye contact with his son, the man motioned for Adam Banks to follow him.

"Who was that?" Indiana asked Averman.

"Adam's dad. Pretty scary dude, if you ask me." Averman pointed out.

"I'll say," noted Indiana as she watched the door close behind Adam. About a minute later, the boy reentered the room with a frown plastered on his face. The girl watched as Charlie tried to talk to Adam, but Adam just shrugged and ignored the boy's questions. After moments of silence mixed with small amounts of small talk, it was five minutes until game time. Bombay burst through the doors as if on cue, preparing to read the lines on his whiteboard.

"We are going to start the game with Conway, Banks, and Gaffney," Bombay stated. Connie tapped Indiana's knee, smiling at her and whispering congratulations. Indiana looked over at Jesse, who rolled his eyes, glaring back at his teammate. "Portman and Fulton on defense, Goldberg in net. We will roll through the forward lines with Jesse slotting in as second line wing. That sound good to everyone?" Murmurs of 'yes'' were heard around the locker room. "Now let's go out there and dominate!"

Goldberg, being the starting goalie, led the team out onto the ice.

"I can't believe he isn't starting you, Jules," stated Indiana.

"I'm choosing to believe that it is because Trinidad Tobago isn't very good. Hopefully I'll play the next one," explained Julie. Indiana pursed her lips and nodded, hoping for this to be true.

"First game as a duck, you ready Indiana?" A voice from behind her asked. Indiana turned to see Charlie smiling down at her.

"We aren't really ducks right now, Charlie," Indiana pointed out. Charlie simply laughed at her.

"A wise girl once told me that we are all ducks in here," Charlie motioned to his heart, mocking the girl.

"Oh, shut up, Charlie," the girl retorted, causing a chuckle from Charlie and those around him. As the ducks warmed up, Indiana noted the jerseys of the Trinidad Tobago team- they were pink, yellow, and teal and extremely vibrant. A cool color scheme nonetheless, but not exactly hockey jersey material.

The first period went past insanely quickly. Team USA was up six to nothing, Indiana's line making up three of the six goals. Adam had two goals while Charlie had one, all three with Indiana as the primary assist. Guy and Jessie both got involved on the scoreboard as well, with one goal each. Goldberg had yet to really be tested, having two saves throughout the first twenty.

The second period began with Connie scoring yet another goal. As she came over to high-five his teammates, a voice from behind the glass began to taunt team USA, "Yeah, high-five some more. Man, my little brother could score on these guys."

Jesse looked up, confused and angered, "Go bother him, then!"

The boy laughed, banging on the glass, "I ain't even got a little brother."

"Hey, Jesse." Coach Bombay interrupted, "Quit gabbin' and get on the ice. Show me you want it, son." The boy behind the glass repeated Bombay's words mockingly. Bombay turned to glare at the boy, who smiled and cowered behind the glass. Jesse skated up the ice, not before being tripped up by a Trinidad player. Jesse retaliated, pushing the player to the ground and receiving a penalty.

"He dissed you bad, G" said the taunting boy, who blew on the penalty box glass. Jesse jumped up in an attempt to attack him, but the boy rushed away.

"Banks, Gaffney, Fulton and Portman. Penalty kill, let's go," said Bombay, announcing the change on the ice.

"Let's do this," said Adam, holding out his fist. Indiana nodded, fist bumping the boy. Fulton and Portman, with their newfound bromance, also bumped fists and put their helmets on. The next minute involved team USA's defense completely bashing each Trinidad player they came in contact with. Portman and Fulton took the puck on a 2-on-1, Portman scoring the goal on the Trinidad goalie and bowing to the audience. Still on the penalty kill, Adam won the center ice faceoff to Portman, who forced the puck up the boards to Indiana. After a minute of offensive zone time, Adam passed the puck across the goal mouth to Indiana, who tucked it in the goal top shelf. The crowd erupted and the players on the ice came to Indiana, all congratulating her on her first goal.

"Nice shot, Indie." Commented Adam.

Indiana smiled at her skates, noticing the nickname used by Adam. "Nice pass, Banks." The three forwards skated over to the bench, taking their seats and helmets off to rest. Adam moved his attention from Indiana to the man sitting behind her with a clipboard. Scouts.

"Hey, you got a girl in the stands?" Asked Charlie, interrupting Adam's gaze. Indiana's gaze snapped to Adam, trailing his eyesight. As soon as Charlie mentioned the possibility of Adam looking at another girl, Indiana felt this heavy feeling in her stomach. Despite this, she ignored it and listened to the boy's conversation.

Adam chuckled lightly, shaking his head, "No. Scouts, man. Look at 'em."

Charlie smiled, "Don't worry about scouts, Adam. Just play your best."

"You're playing great, Banksie. You're being noticed, trust me" stated Indiana, lightly putting her arm on his shoulder.

"Banksie?" Adam replied, laughing at her discovery of his nickname.

"Would you rather I call you cake-eater?" She asked the boy, who shook his head.

"Nope, Banksie sounds good." The two exchanged a small smile before Indiana looked away, feeling awkward. She sighed to herself, laughing at the idea of her flirting in the middle of an international hockey tournament game with all of these people around, watching them like they were in a snow globe. She quickly shook Adam out of her head and returned her attention to the game in front of her.

"Team USA loses the puck at center ice. Here's Bellafonte. Across the goal line with a great move, walks right down in front. He shoots, he scores!" Indiana watched in disbelief as Goldberg was dangled out of his pants and Trinidad got one on the board. Indiana looked on the other side of the bench to make eye contact with Julie, who simply shrugged her shoulders in defeat. The Trinidad team jumped up together in celebration, a chorus of music coming from the stands. Indiana furrowed her eyebrows as she watched Trinidad dance in their celebratory circle after the goal.

"Nearing the end of the game, team USA with it out at center ice. Here's Connie Moreau. Moreau stickhandling in the Trinidad zone, Moreau still with it, moves around a pile up, gives it to Kenny Wu. Wu, the former figure skater, back behind the net, ducks underneath the check. Wu around in front, it's a wraparound. He scores!" After one more Trinidad goal, the score ended at 9-2. Team USA gathered on the ice by their bench, celebrating their first win of the tournament.

"That wasn't a game, that was a statement!" Bombay stated, causing the group to cheer in response.